Power PE cut Score and Advise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thammond

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was unsuccessful in the Oct 2012 exam. Felt ok about the test, was different from all the practice exams. I am hoping that my fellow engineers can let me know how close I was to passing and maybe ad some study tips. My score was 48/80, I really struggled on the Transmission and distribution portion of the exam. I thought I was prepared, could handle all the spin-up and CI exams as well as the NCEES. I am looking for another approach to studying and problem solving to help me the next time around. Does anyone have any advice? Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Thammond

really work on your weaker areas from the diagnostic sheet you will get. Find more practice problems.

I bought this book, PE Power Electrical Engineering Problems and Solutions, and worked most of the problems in the book. The good thing about this book is that the problems are not multiple choice, so while you're working the problems, you are shoring up the fundamentals.

For references, I had the following:

• Power Systems Analysis and Design - Glover
  • NEC Handbook 2011
  • Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems - Wildi
  • Electric Machinery Fundamentals - Chapman
  • Fundamentals of Electric Circuits - Sadiku

I also had the above mentioned reference book from Kaplan, and the sample problem book published by the NCEES, but I didn't use them much. While I was working the problems, I used the above reference books to see what information I needed and to familiarize myself.

Best of luck next time.

I passed the Oct '12 Power PE. I started studying in August (when I finished my MBA) and used the following:

http://ppi2pass.com/shop/pe-exams-68/electrical-pe-exams/electrical-pe-power-package-epn6.html

• Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam (EPRM)
  • Power Practice Problems for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam (EPRP)
  • NCEES PE Electrical and Computer: Power Sample Questions & Solutions (NCPEEP2)
  • Power Sample Exams for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam (EPSX)
  • Customizable Book Tabs (TABPPI)
  • Casio FX-115 ES Plus Advanced Scientific Calculator (FX115ESP)

I also had the latest NEC and NESC with me. I read/worked all of the PPI material and had tabbed everything.

I studied probably 15-20 hours per week and did not look at anything the night before.

The material I had with me did not cover every problem/scenario that I was tested on, but covered probably 75% of it.

Good luck next time.

I failed the April 2012, my score was 46/80 and the Transmission & distribution was my weakness too...

I passed the October 2012 exam, and the approach I used, pretty much in line with what everyone else is saying, is working a lot more practice problems...

I started with the spin up and complex imaginery tests, honestly these were a lot easier and nothing like the actual exam, but I was able to get some of the fundamental concepts down and answer quite a few questions from those concepts.

When I ran out of practice problems I opened up my Wildi book and started from the first chapter and worked ever example question and tried to answer the first few questions at the end of each chapter as well. The key was understanding the concept and not just figuring out the answer. I really think that was what helped me in the end. Plus after working so many questions, I knew exactly where to look for a similar question on the exam if I couldn't answer it, actually i still looked even if I could answer the question to make sure that i was answering it right, I was'nt taking any chances this time.

I saved the NCEES sample questions and did an 8hr practice exam the weekend before the exam, since I knew that format was the most similar to the actual exam.

This board helped with a lot of questions and concepts that I had a hard time understanding...

Good Luck! I am sure you will be able to get it in the next go :)

Back