Power Ncees 52

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaoyaodes

Reaction score
Can anyone help me visualize the circuit? I got the data but did wrong on the calculation.

Attachments

• 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 17
They are parallel conductors, so the impedance will be halved. For e.g. if you have two resistors in parallel (with equal resistance), 1/Req=(1/R)+(1/R), which gives Req=R/2.

See pic below. Not exactly similar to the question, but you get the idea.
qid297.jpg

They are parallel conductors, so the impedance will be halved. For e.g. if you have two resistors in parallel (with equal resistance), 1/Req=(1/R)+(1/R), which gives Req=R/2.

See pic below. Not exactly similar to the question, but you get the idea.
View attachment 26645
Thanks, that's really helpful. I always think that single phase is a single wire.

Single phase is a very complicated term. There are always multiple wire configurations that are possible with single phase. Sometimes as much as four wires depending on the voltage, the system the circuit is derived from, if there is a neutral and/or ground included. But that's more of a real world scenario not so much on the exam.

For these types of problems I think they just deal with single phase in the standard 120V where the voltage drop includes a return path on the neutral to determine voltage drop from panel to load, or three phase where the voltage drop is just calculated on a single path from panel to load.

Single phase is a very complicated term. There are always multiple wire configurations that are possible with single phase. Sometimes as much as four wires depending on the voltage, the system the circuit is derived from, if there is a neutral and/or ground included. But that's more of a real world scenario not so much on the exam.

For these types of problems I think they just deal with single phase in the standard 120V where the voltage drop includes a return path on the neutral to determine voltage drop from panel to load, or three phase where the voltage drop is just calculated on a single path from panel to load.
Thank you for the information! exam is coming in one week lol

Single phase is a very complicated term. There are always multiple wire configurations that are possible with single phase.

Agreed. The different types of single-phase configurations can be somewhat confusing at first. What I find helps is that realizing a single-phase circuit consists of just one single individual load, with one round trip circuit connecting across both terminals of the load (compared to three round trip circuits for a three-phase load).

Back