Power factor in unbalanced 3phase system

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatso86

Noob
Reaction score
is the power factor in each phase potentially difference if the system is unbalanced?

Power factor is usually thought of in the context of a balanced system.  per The Standard handbook for Elec. Engineers (10th Edition), section 3-76 "The power factor of a polyphase circuit which is balanced is the same as that of the individual phases.  When the phases are not balanced, the true power factor is indeterminate."

I have attached a file which includes power factor info as you scroll towards the bottom.

View attachment Power Formulas.pdf

As you look at the beer analogy you can see how if you have more foam (reactive power/i.e. lower pactor factor) you have to use a larger glass (more expensive, higher capacity equipment) but still get the same amount of beer (real power).  More money spent but you get the same amount of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power factor is usually thought of in the context of a balanced system.  per The Standard handbook for Elec. Engineers (10th Edition), section 3-76 "The power factor of a polyphase circuit which is balanced is the same as that of the individual phases.  When the phases are not balanced, the true power factor is indeterminate."
I hope minor details such as these aren't necessary on the test. Seeing how this is something that simply said in passing.

I personally have never seen any review material that asks about power factor in an unbalanced system.  if you do one of the answer choices would probably be "indeterminate".

Having said that, in the real world, we have unbalanced systems all over.  Particularly on electric utility distribution grids.  We do our best to balance and assume  that any power factor "errors" are negligible. 

Back