Poll: What do you plan on doing with your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you plan on doing with your PE?

• Seal drawings at work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seal drawings / advise clients for consulting

• Use it to establish yourself as an excellent engineer

• None of the above - have no plans to use it

• Total voters
DVinny: It looks like in both NJ and MI, the home address is used to process the PE License, so the most they could find is the city and zip of your residence. I just don't like the idea of anyone (suppliers, customers, and co-workers) being able to find that info so readily. The database also lists the PE license number. From what I can see, almost anyone can have a PE stamp made as long as they have the right name and license #. Are there any security measures for these situations?
Nope... not unless a state/locality keeps a registry of items filed with a stamp. Frankly, I don't see this as a privacy issue and the fraudulent stamping concern is not a personal issue for you (unless someone tries to sanction or sue you for the work someone else created and stamping in your name - that seems VERY unlikely!).

In Oregon, OSBEELS provides Licensee Mailing Lists for a fee. This is a full listing of all PE’s, EIT’s, LS’s, FLS’s, and WRE. The list includes their address, when they were licensed, when they are approved to take the exam, etc. It does not include their telephone numbers or if they passed or failed an exam. It includes much more but does not compromise them personally. The list can be downloaded by anyone but you have to pay for the password to open the ZIP. Anyone can search you name and get your city/state.

I think this sort of information is necessary if you're providing a public service. It would seem many states have some sort of Public Records Law which confers a right to inspect any public record of a public

body. I'm not sure what the general exemptions and limitations are, but in Oregon:

Code:
      192.445 Nondisclosure on request of home address, home telephone number and electronic mail address; rules of procedure; duration of effect of request; liability; when not applicable. (1) An individual may submit a written request to a public body not to disclose a specified public record indicating the home address, personal telephone number or electronic mail address of the individual. A public body may not disclose the specified public record if the individual demonstrates to the satisfaction of the public body that the personal safety of the individual or the personal safety of a family member residing with the individual is in danger if the home address, personal telephone number or electronic mail address remains available for public inspection.

(2) The Attorney General shall adopt rules describing:

(a) The procedures for submitting the written request described in subsection (1) of this section.

(b) The evidence an individual shall provide to the public body to establish that disclosure of the home address, telephone number or electronic mail address of the individual would constitute a danger to personal safety. The evidence may include but is not limited to evidence that the individual or a family member residing with the individual has:

(A) Been a victim of domestic violence;

(B) Obtained an order issued under ORS 133.055;

(C) Contacted a law enforcement officer involving domestic violence or other physical abuse;

(D) Obtained a temporary restraining order or other no contact order to protect the individual from future physical abuse; or

(E) Filed other criminal or civil legal proceedings regarding physical protection.

(c) The procedures for submitting the written notification from the individual that disclosure of the home address, personal telephone number or electronic mail address of the individual no longer constitutes a danger to personal safety.

(3) A request described in subsection (1) of this section remains effective:

(a) Until the public body receives a written request for termination but no later than five years after the date that a public body receives the request; or

(b) In the case of a voter registration record, until the individual must update the individual’s voter registration, at which time the individual may apply for another exemption from disclosure.

(4) A public body may disclose a home address, personal telephone number or electronic mail address of an individual exempt from disclosure under subsection (1) of this section upon court order, on request from any law enforcement agency or with the consent of the individual.

(5) A public body may not be held liable for granting or denying an exemption from disclosure under this section or any other unauthorized release of a home address, personal telephone number or electronic mail address granted an exemption from disclosure under this section.

(6) This section does not apply to county property and lien records. [1993 c.787 §5; 1995 c.742 §12; 2003 c.807 §1]

Note: 192.445 was added to and made a part of 192.410 to 192.505 by legislative action but was not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.

I will need my PE to eventually sign and seal plans (Civil Engineering field - Transportation)

I will begin my status as a licensed engineer by stamping every flat surface in my office. It will bring closure to months of frustrated wating and potentially simplify my company's inventory process. After that, I will seal/sign the next set of plans I submit for review. It will be refreshing not having to stand outside my boss' office, waiting for him to get off the phone, so that I can get a sheet re-signed because I forgot to freeze a layer or move a piece of overwriting text.

I currently work for a State DOT and with our current hiring freeze, things are a bit limited at the moment. There is no automatic promotion/bonus, however, it does open up a world of opportunities so time will only tell.

OK... so here's a question... I've yet been paid to use my PEness. How can I go about getting something on the side that will a) validate my PEness prowess, B) make enough money to pay for the hardware I bought to go along with my PEness.

Really... this is a serious question!

eb.com Professional Consulting Services. We will need car magnets.

Could you work for a consultant in a freelance form? We have a lot of consulting firms in town that pick up retirees to do little jobs. I wonder if you couldn't do the same.

OK... so here's a question... I've yet been paid to use my PEness. How can I go about getting something on the side that will a) validate my PEness prowess, B) make enough money to pay for the hardware I bought to go along with my PEness.
Really... this is a serious question!
I don't think you want to know how much it would cost to carry the insurance you would want to have if you started doing side jobs. I don't think your company would cover you in a lawsuit if it involved a side job.

I don't think you want to know how much it would cost to carry the insurance you would want to have if you started doing side jobs. I don't think your company would cover you in a lawsuit if it involved a side job.
Yeah, I'm sure Uncle Sam wouldn't cover me. What if I didn't have E&O insurance?

eb.com Professional Consulting Services. We will need car magnets.
Could you work for a consultant in a freelance form? We have a lot of consulting firms in town that pick up retirees to do little jobs. I wonder if you couldn't do the same.
So I'd need to find a consulting firm that would through some work my way? I didn't think this was generally an option. Any suggestions for how I'd find one?

For now I need it to be a manager at my office.

For later I'd like to use it to combine with my girlfriends contractor license and build fun things. Probably not for profit but for myself.

For now I need it to be a manager at my office.
For later I'd like to use it to combine with my girlfriends contractor license and build fun things. Probably not for profit but for myself.
If I were you I think I'd like to bring my girlfriend and my PE-ness together sooner rather then later.

I am saving it, the results and my license, just in case we run out of toilet paper at home. In the company I work for and for the job I do it is useless. Actually it is not even "nice to have" thing.
We are 4 engineers in my group, I am the only PE, and guess who gets the smallest amount of money in his pay check....Yep....

But I like what I do and money is not that important at this moment for me. Do not ask me tomorrow but today...nahhhhh
I read in a American Airlines Magazine something that I will never foget "In life you DONT get what you deserve- You get what you NEGOTIATE". Get a new job a negotiate a better salary... Recently I was offered a job for a State University making 13K more than their Senior EE. I NEGOTIATED it.... but also turned it down. :)

Back