Poll: What do you plan on doing with your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you plan on doing with your PE?

• Seal drawings at work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seal drawings / advise clients for consulting

• Use it to establish yourself as an excellent engineer

• None of the above - have no plans to use it

• Total voters
Build an altar with the results as the focal piece and worship it.
Seriously, it means a lot in my company as far as promotions and money are concerned, and especially with how scarce work is now (though, somehow, we have been able to fill in the blanks as projects end this quarter, but our backlog has been, and will remain none, since last spring) it will offer me more job security, and hopefully options, in the near and far future.

But no sealing drawings in my future. I have been in consulting and out of design for too long (only 7 years, but it seems so much longer) for me to consider going back.

I am saving it, the results and my license, just in case we run out of toilet paper at home. In the company I work for and for the job I do it is useless. Actually it is not even "nice to have" thing.

We are 4 engineers in my group, I am the only PE, and guess who gets the smallest amount of money in his pay check....Yep....

But I like what I do and money is not that important at this moment for me. Do not ask me tomorrow but today...nahhhhh

If NY, CA, or other states bankrupt will the PE liceneces still valid? Because I plan to take my PE test in CA but need to transfer back to NY will the bankrupt affecting process or anything?

It's not a must have in my field, but I'm planning on going into consulting on the long run so I may end up using it then, its a good thing to have..

If NY, CA, or other states bankrupt will the PE liceneces still valid? Because I plan to take my PE test in CA but need to transfer back to NY will the bankrupt affecting process or anything?

I took mine in TX and planning to move back to cali, I was told that if you're planning on moving to another state you can simply apply for one there and it will be granted to you wthout having to retake the exam, so with that said I'd doubt that you'll ever loose the license. Besides, CA bankrupting? thats most likely not gonna happen man :)

Is your license info public domain? I'd like to put "PE" on my cards and business email signatures, but not if anyone can pull up my personal info on a whim. I can understand the need to subpoena the personal info in the event there is a dispute related to a stamped drawing/print.

metroplex, in Michigan, anyone can look up your license status on the DLEG website here. The database does not give out your street address, just your city and state.

I think most people who get it with no plans to use it are thinking (to some degree at least) about what their next career move might be. Most (but obviously, not all) people test better when they are younger and closer to their college years... so it makes sense to get the PE earlier rather than later.

I got mine as a personal goal. I work for a utility and am not doing any design. I can't tell you the joy and satisfaction of accomplishing it. Since I'm 52, I might use it in retirement. I would definately recommend getting it while you're young.

metroplex, in Michigan, anyone can look up your license status on the DLEG website here. The database does not give out your street address, just your city and state.
Yes I know, I don't like that because they'd be able to further track down your street address through public records although I am sure anyone could find it through other means.

I feel like having a PE will earn me more respect with the clients that I work with. It really is something to be proud of having. I did work hard for it. I also feel that having it will make me more marketable should I decide it is time to move somewhere else.

Unfortuantely the PE doesn't really mean too much were I work (utilities). It was a long term goal I set for myself when I was working for A/E firms. But I figure it would help give me some job security if I did ever get layed off or something and had to find another job. Besides if you have the knowledge there is no reason not to get it anyways.

rancam

I thought about it, but they can find your address from the state board using license search databases.

Is your license info public domain? I'd like to put "PE" on my cards and business email signatures, but not if anyone can pull up my personal info on a whim. I can understand the need to subpoena the personal info in the event there is a dispute related to a stamped drawing/print.
Why are you worried about someone finding your address? You hiding from the mob?

LOL.

If you look mine up, you see my work address, not my home. Does that work better?

I wanted mine mainly so I could make one of those huge magnetic signs to put on the door of my car, but made to look like a PE Stamp....

I wanted mine mainly so I could make one of those huge magnetic signs to put on the door of my car, but made to look like a PE Stamp....
That would be amazing, and quite frankly, needs to be done.

DVinny: It looks like in both NJ and MI, the home address is used to process the PE License, so the most they could find is the city and zip of your residence. I just don't like the idea of anyone (suppliers, customers, and co-workers) being able to find that info so readily. The database also lists the PE license number. From what I can see, almost anyone can have a PE stamp made as long as they have the right name and license #. Are there any security measures for these situations?

I needed to get the PE to bump myself into a higher pay grade, and more interesting work. Plus you just don't get taken seriously in consulting if you stop at the E.I. stage.

Regarding privacy, in MN you have the option of registering with either home or work address. I will be doing the latter.

I work for the Fed Gov't and my current job doesn't need it and I won't get a pay increase other than a small bonus award.

I did it more as a personal goal and some of the supervisor engineering jobs want you to have to it even if they don't use it either. I've talked to all my PE supervisors that I have worked under and none of them have used their PE stamp in their years of working.

I guess it also keeps my options open if I decide to do something else later.

Back