PM exam book issues

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsli001

Reaction score
Hi guys:

I'm just got liad off recently from work,and I am taking the PE exam in three weeks.I am taking the transportation PM exam.I got the 04 green book and HCM 2000 ,but I dont have the traffic engineer manual and road way design guide.And, I look up the price for those two books which I cant really afford to get them.I was wondering can or will I be able to get by the afternoon exam without those two books?

tsli

I haven't taken the exam yet but I'll give you my $0.02 based on a few of my colleagues that have been successful.

Take every book recommended by NCEES that you can get your hands on. Nobody knows what will be on the next test other than the folks that write it (I'm not even sure they know since it is assembled from many different professionals). Some of the questions may be straight from a book and if you have it you'll be set. If not you may miss out on some "easy" points.

I didn't have some of the books recommended for the April exam either. I called the county engineer where I live and some other engineering firms. I have found that people are very willing to help if you ask for it. Many have been in the same shoes and had to borrow books as well. Check with your local engineering university library. They may let you check out a book or check with the professors that teach the transportation classes.

Good luck to you and I'm sorry you lost your job. I'm afraid I'll lose mine soon due to slow work. Hopefully the economy will turn around for us soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys:
I'm just got liad off recently from work,and I am taking the PE exam in three weeks.I am taking the transportation PM exam.I got the 04 green book and HCM 2000 ,but I dont have the traffic engineer manual and road way design guide.And, I look up the price for those two books which I cant really afford to get them.I was wondering can or will I be able to get by the afternoon exam without those two books?

tsli
check out the comprable books from canada or uk that you can download. You may be able to print up something that would work. I bought a book on hoisting and rigging that comes from the military and one from canada. I was able to answer questions using these books as well as others that I downloaded

Hi guys:

tsli

I would copy the Roadside Design Guide's standard chart for clearing distance. You will find that most roadside review questions refer to that single page.

I would copy the Roadside Design Guide's standard chart for clearing distance. You will find that most roadside review questions refer to that single page.
Ok, is there anywhere I can download the cleaning distance online?

thanks

I'd also carefully weigh the cost of having to take the exam again, versus really trying to borrow or buy these books for this exam administration. I could probably rent you these books for a very reasonable fee.

Back