Please Help - PE Reference

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyond724

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am to planning to take the Texas PE exam in 2014. However, I didn't work with a PE at old work. When I asked other PEs to write a reference for me, they were not comforable to prove my work experience with old company. I called Texas Engineering Board and they said that I need to get a PE to certify the work experience with old company...My question is how would I get a PE reference to certify the work experience at old company? I don't think any other PE (know or dont know me) would write the reference for me as they never worked/knew me.....

Has anyone had the same problem? Please advise...any idea is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

I do not think getting the reference(s) from the other company should be a problem. All PEs need to get the references. If you give yourself enough time, you can send the form through the mail with a SASE. Sometimes the references can be sent straight to the Board. I did not give myself enough time and had to take a vacation day for the 6 hour drive, each way, just to get one of my signatures. It's just part of the process, just don't wait too long.

Missouri has a form with the application if you were working in an industry that is exempt from PE requirements that could be filled out to waive the PE requirement. Maybe Texas has something similar?

Thank you all for the reply. My problem is that none of the PE that I know of would be able to certify the work experience at my old company. As they never worked with me, they just cannot provide the SER for me....Without the "certified" SER, I cannot prove that I had engineering work experience with my old company....and I need that 2 yrs expereince to qualify the "4 yrs" experience requirement...I am stuck here now...and the application deadline is this Friday.....Please advise....

You might have to delay your test for 2 years. Some states are real tough on the 4 year PE requirement.

Did a PE oversee your work, even indirectly? I had a division manager that worked out of a different office sign for part of my experience. I didn't work directly with him, but he was responsible for the work coming out of our division and reviewed job costs/progress/forecasting. It was accepted by the CA board. Look closely at the wording of what type of experience they are looking for.

Have you worked with outside PEs, maybe an inspector or project manager, design firm, consultants or subcontractors?

I may be wrong, but i think that in NC you have to have 4 years of progressive engineering experience. BUT, only half of that has to be directly under a PE.

Also in NC you only need like 3 of your 5 references to be PEs. The others can be managers etc.

The answer to the question is that you will need to get a PE to "attest" or "verify" that the work you performed was indeed the level requisite of becoming registered. Your challenge, as I see understand the fact pattern that you presented is that you cannot find any PE's to attest to the work that you performed at the old firm. You will need to find some PE's to attest to your work. Sadly, I don't know the answer.

Perhaps the clients that you worked for at the old firm have engineers that can attest to your work? Perhaps a similar company to the old company that performs similar work (a competitor) may be able to assist you?

Back