PE worth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tmckeon_PE

Don't know what happened to an earlier thread.

I can make better than $75 per hour either doing my own company or aiding existing companies. Makes sense to get the PE.

Emails are welcome [email protected] .

I think a lot of it depends on the market(location)

You can certainly make $75/hour working for yourself, when my wife worked for herself as a Registered Dietician, she would charge upwards of $50-60 hour. But keep in mind there are some insane tax laws when you work for yourself.

Essentially if you work for yourself, even with "good deductions" you are going to pay almost a full months salary in quarterly taxes ever quarter. starting with 15% to social security right of the top.

I make pretty good for no PE here in Atlanta, but the demand for people with experience is starting to exceed the demand for someone with 4 years of cad experience and a PE. Of course when I pass I expect my annual base salary to go from around 80K/year to about 105/year.

I make pretty good for no PE here in Atlanta, but the demand for people with experience is starting to exceed the demand for someone with 4 years of cad experience and a PE. Of course when I pass I expect my annual base salary to go from around 80K/year to about 105/year.
Is that a fairly typical salary in the Atlanta market? I recently posted my resume on Monster.com and thought that mid-70's in the Charleston, SC or Florida market was pretty fair.

Can anyone help me out with those areas?

Is that a fairly typical salary in the Atlanta market? I recently posted my resume on Monster.com and thought that mid-70's in the Charleston, SC or Florida market was pretty fair.

Can anyone help me out with those areas?
jfusillo --

I work for a state agency in FL. :ph43r:

I think your salary range (demands) will depend based on whether you move up in the project "staff" range or if you move into project management.

Once I pass the PE exam and look for private sector work, I have been told to expect to be able to increase my salary by at least 50% which would put me in the $80K - 105K range. :true:

Good luck ... for all of us !!! :???:

Regards,

JR

I work in Vermont, which is a dirt cheap place to live. As such, 5 years in the biz + a PE will get you mid $50k's.

The people I went to school with in NYC, with a bachelors and no PE, are well into the mid $60k's at this point.

If you are a Civil grad, I would do the following.....

Surveying/Civil route

1. Check to see the requirements for gaining a Survey License in your state. If you qualify without any additional school work, good, if you have to take 2 or 3 more survey classes, do that now.

2. Go to work at a firm that does engineering and surveying. Tell them you want to do half of each, with a concentration on boundary surveying. A small firm is better, because you will learn a little about a lot instead of being the ?wastewater guy.?

3. Get the PE & PLS licenses. Some engineers look down upon surveyors as being below them. In my area (Mississippi) we charge $100.00 per hour for a field crew, that is if you bill by the hour. I lump sum bid all my work. If I have 100 acres, I will usually price it at around 3500 if open land or 5000 if wooded. If you are a one man show you could do $3000 a week in surveying and $2000 a week engineering easily. The point being, if you get dueled licensed you will double your income. This may take an additional 3 or 4 years before you hang your own shingle, but it will pay off in the long run.

:woot:

Worth of a PE?

In monetary terms, for an engineer working for the "state" government of the Northern Mariana Islands, what it does is raise the salary ceiling from $50k to $70k (no federal taxes here). Of course, I probably won't get any raise at all, and in fact, my salary's been recently cut through "hour reductions" due to the terrible economy we have.

So assuming I remain in the $40ks, there is still quite a bit of "worth" to a PE:

- No one can tell me "I'm right because I'm a PE and you're not" anymore when I point out the obvious, such as rebar spaced at 16" o.c. instead of 8" o.c. as shown on the structural plans :true:

- Politically-appointed bosses cannot claim "lack of qualifications" as a reason to terminate my contract so they can hire their relatives or cronies.

- More confidence in being able to find a decent job if they do anyway :angry:

- A longer signature? :dunno: A nice framed certificate?

If you want to make really good money, you'd better either start your own business, as suggested by tmckeon, or do something else. My last year in the oil patch I had made $50k by the end of May when I quit. There's great pay to be had in Iraq and Afghanistan, too, working as a contractor. I have an attorney buddy who left to train future policemen in Afgh. for something like $175k a year. If he lives.

Personally, I'll be happy with just the added initials and being able to go home at 4:30 every day and enjoy the other parts of life.

You have it right Dleg. When I received the notification that I passed, I immediately felt the 800 lb gorilla climb off my back. Sure, the raise is nice (I work for the State too), but even better is the credibility and potential mobility that immediately followed. My incontinent supervisor can't hold me down any longer, it's my license against hers, and she backs down now. I see alot more opportunity if I chose to leave the service of the :BK: , just becase I have that pretty certificate on the wall. That gives me inner peace that has been missing the past few years.

What is the PE worth? In my mind, it is worth the world, whatever you chose that world to be.

Which state, cement? Are you another regulator?

(evil laugh)

:tone:

My fellow state employee. The life of a state employee, oh the money might not be there but damn 40 hours and go home. Deadlines not until 2009, golf every friday, and any schedule you want. Oh yeah one finally thing job security for life and an unbelievable retirement program. Who says state service doesn't have its benefits.

I've been fighting the good fight in construction in Colorado the past 6 years, but I'm thinking I'll go back to HQ and do the flex time scam as the work schedule in the summer in the mountains (we have 4 months to get stuff built) leaves no fun time. I'm looking at a regulator type job because I do enjoy being the hammer ;)

My fellow state employee.....
The life of a state employee, oh the money might not be there but damn 40 hours and go home.

Not for all of us. I have had quite a few periods where I consistently worked more than 40 hrs per week - Emergency Response (hurricanes) and litigation.

Deadlines not until 2009, golf every friday, and any schedule you want.

My deadlines are set for 2008 based on the Government Performance Results Act (GPRA) as developed during Reagan's tenure. No golf for me, even though I live in FL. My schedule is somewhat flexible , but this isn't Burger King :BK: - I don't get it my way.

Oh yeah one finally thing job security for life and an unbelievable retirement program.

Job security ?? Jeb Bush ACTIVELY pushed for an across the board 25% reduction in the state work force. No rhyme or reason - just cut it. Retirement, if you make it that far, is fair. But I would ask you a question - what is 50% of nothing ???? :hung:

At the end of the day, it comes down to perspective.

JR

Florida I think is more progressive in realizing that state employees cant really do what consultants can do, but in some states, a state job is the life, especially if your in a state where the economy sucks (Like New Mexico, or somewhere where the only good jobs are government jobs).

Florida I think is more progressive in realizing that state employees cant really do what consultants can do, but in some states, a state job is the life, especially if your in a state where the economy sucks (Like New Mexico, or somewhere where the only good jobs are government jobs).
Here here for WV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

We always get to rank 49th out of 50.

I interned for a state government job over the summer, and after thinking about it I wouldnt want to have that for a job. They work at a slow pace, so that they have work to do. I rather have a fast pace job, although the retirement program is really nice for state jobs.

Back