PE Mechanical PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MECHPE353

Can anybody who took the PE Mechanical-Machine Design exam for the 2nd time comment on how difficult it was. I studied for the PE Exam using "the other board" and took both the "the other board" Sample Exam and the NCEES Sample Exam. I found the actual exam to be much more difficult than the NCEES Sample Exam and more on par with "the other board". This was my 1st time taking the PE. I feel that I borderlined passed / failed. It was much more difficult than I expected.

:huh:

Well, I took it for the first time also, so I don't exactly have a different frame of reference as you: So I hope that this post can still be helpful.

I also found the PM exam to be more difficult than I expected from the "the other board" sample problems. I spent considerable time studying for the PM portion, since I work in an evironement where the stuff I design is "simplistic" mechanically. I felt weak in deep Machine design. ( I NEVER do any Thermo/HVAC)

I came across a problem that actually had a formula for in in the MERM, but there wasn't enough info for me to complete it without doing some guessing on the procedure. My take on this is that "the other board" tries to cover all bases, but can't really predict how bizzarre the obscure stuff can be framed in the PE exam.

(I can't discuss the actual question)...

Don't beat yourself up: I felt sooooo strong after the AM portion, but the PM portion knocked me down! I don't think that very many people will do well on it, regardless of their level of preparedness.

So, you/I could pass, it could happen!

:D

Riedlipa,

Thank you for the input. It is nice to know that other people feel the same way. Normally, I don't get too nervous or concerned over exams, but the amount of personal / work time taken-up in the preparation of this exam enforces my desire to pass on the 1st round.

I feel more confortable reading the different posts popping-up concerning the difficulty of the exam.

Latest posts

Back