PE - ME with HVAC Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmbeck

Reaction score
Everyone talks about the volumes of books that they take to the exam. I was the same way.

I carried the following:

1. MERM

2. Thermo book - Moran & Shapiro

3. Thermo book - Russell & Adebiyi

4. Heat Transfer - Incropera & DeWitt

5. Mechanical Design - Shigley & Mishcke

6. Mechanisms - Shigley & Uicker

7. Cameron Hydraulics

8. ASHRAE HVAC Systems and Equipment - 2004

9. ASHRAE Fundamentals - 2005

10. ASHRAE Refrigeration - 2006

11. ASHRAE HVAC Applications - 2007

12. Laminated Pysch Chart

13. Ductulator (??? just in case)

14. Mechanics of Materials - Craig

15. 2006 ICC Mechanical Code (??? just in case)

16. Air Conditioning Text (can't remember the author)

17. Six Minute Solutions - HVAC

18. Six Minute Solutions - Thermo

19. Six Minute Solutions - Machine Design

That being said, had I needed to take it again, this would be my references

1. MERM

2. ASHRAE Fundamentals - 2005

3. Six Minute Solutions - HVAC

4. Six Minute Solutions - Thermo

5. Six Minute Solutions - Machine Design

6. Laminated Pysch Chart

Practically everything I needed to remember/recall was in the MERM for the breadth sections. Additionally, I used the fundamentals book heavily for the depth.

Two days before the exam, I made an "index" if you will of the problems in the Six Minute Solutions. I also took my written solutions and had them bound at Kinko's. This helped more than I thought it would.

For all problems out of HVAC, I used the MERM exclusively. The other books may have helped, but my familiarity with the MERM made the difference.

This may work for you, and it may not. However, that was my experience.

I would take all the ASHRAE books. There were softball questions from more than just the Fundamentals. Word for word straight out of the book... I may have used the MERM solutions once or twice as well. The "the other board" quick reference book is worthess IMO. The only 6min I bought/took was the HVAC, but the more prep the better.

I took about the same list of books (even the ductulator!), and came to the same conclusion. Rather than a laminated psych chart, I took about 20 copies of paper, but I don't think it really matters. If you practice with paper, take paper. If you practice with laminated, take laminated. The key is to make the test enviroment as much like your practice environment IMO.

Back