PE Exam Layout?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemee

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me how the PE exam is formatted?

Are problems from each "section" grouped together, or is it random? I'm working through a sample exam for the Chemical PE, and problems for each subject are grouped together, i.e. problems 1-10 are Thermo, 11-17 are fluids, and so on. Or is it random...problem 1 thermo, problem 2 fluids, etc.

I hope that the actual exam is grouped by topic so I don't have to bounce around between my references as much.

They are grouped for the most part. If it is a NCEES sample exam that is a very good representation of what to expect. For me the morning was more of the quantitative type questions, where the afternoon was a lot of qualitative type problems.

Can somebody tell me how the PE exam is formatted?
Are problems from each "section" grouped together, or is it random? I'm working through a sample exam for the Chemical PE, and problems for each subject are grouped together, i.e. problems 1-10 are Thermo, 11-17 are fluids, and so on. Or is it random...problem 1 thermo, problem 2 fluids, etc.

I hope that the actual exam is grouped by topic so I don't have to bounce around between my references as much.

I know the AM was grouped. 8 Construction followed by 8 Structures followed by 8... etc. As for the afternoon (Transpo in my case), if there was a pattern at all, I didn't notice it.

Back