Pe conceptional question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John123

Reaction score
Hi,

what do engineers mean by conceptional questions in PE exam ?

pls for your explanation

Conceptual questions usually don't have numerical calculations associated with them. They are questions asking about concepts in a specific field to test your understanding of the material.

Here is an example of a conceptual question:

1633003409125.png

Here is an example of a numerical question:

1633003481626.png

I lied. I came up with roughly 326.7 cu. yd. I'd go with D.

EE brain math:
9 * 7/12 = 5.25 ; rough area of the horizonal portion
sqrt(2^2 + 3^2) * 14/2 * 7/12 = 14.72 ; rough area of one side portion
(2 * 14.72 + 5.25) * 227 / 27 = 291.7 ; total volume in cu. yd.
291.7 * 1.12 = 326.7 ; adding 12%

More EE brain thoughts on the first question:

For the elevation profile, I'm assuming a cut is removing volume and a fill is adding volume. For section B-D we would need to Fill (Statement II is True) in order to match the finished grade profile of a flat grade, and Section D-E we would need to Cut. So statement III could be correct in that Station D it is a transition point.

Looking at the mass diagram, it appears volume is the integral of the elevation profile. I would imagine if it was equal cut/fill, the total volume would end up being zero. Since it is positive, statement I is false.

More EE brain thoughts on the first question:

For the elevation profile, I'm assuming a cut is removing volume and a fill is adding volume. For section B-D we would need to Fill (Statement II is True) in order to match the finished grade profile of a flat grade, and Section D-E we would need to Cut. So statement III could be correct in that Station D it is a transition point.

Looking at the mass diagram, it appears volume is the integral of the elevation profile. I would imagine if it was equal cut/fill, the total volume would end up being zero. Since it is positive, statement I is false.
Correct - I award you an honorary Civil Online PE for your efforts.

As you said, Statement I is false. If it were balanced, the Mass Haul Diagram would end on the axis (ie, zero).

For 2 &3, you've got it. And for a little more convoluted way of looking at it, if the mass diagram has a negative slope, you are filling. If it is positive, cutting.

Back