PE Civil Paper(10/21) or CBT(4/22)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went over it briefly on the transportation section of the PE civil reference manual. It’s missing a lot of information on Highway capacity. I didn’t see anything on MUTCD, Highway safety, and RDG. I assume we will not be tested on these sections for the CBT exam next April.
Check the end of the Transportation Spec on the NCEES website. They include MUTCD and many other references that will be available on the Transportation depth exam

Attachments

• 868FCEDA-F82D-45F5-9A0B-B2025020907B.jpeg
    868FCEDA-F82D-45F5-9A0B-B2025020907B.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 137
you bring in your own calculator, but it must be one of the few approved models.
In undergrad they made us use only NCEES approved calculators since that's all you can use on the PE exam.

I use the TI-36x (and practically every day since, nearly 10 years later).
It's powerful, multi-line, solar but not "washed out" like some are, and is only about $20-25.

NCEES Calculator Policy

for those who are worried about not having the CERM, etc available, I wouldn't be concerned. they know what material is out there and you're not going to get a line-by-line match on any of the problems.

from my experience, its not the content that will get you, its time. you either know how to perform the solution or know where to find it. if you're often having to look up a similar problem, break down how they got there, and then try to apply components of it to your problem, you're probably going to run out of time. spend time studying what TYPE of problems you expect to face (pipe pressure, bousinnesq, highway level if service, mutcd, etc) and know how to access the related reference material and know which section you need. if you have to keep looking up things in the index and table of contents you will he wasting time. know your references as much as you do calculations. and that is something the CERM cannot do for you.

also ... for those needing the MUTCD, here's a word of advice. there are a lot of different scenarios that use the same items (signals, signs, striping). and some of them sound similar to each other. when you look up questions regarding the mutcd, look to see the wording in the question matches what's in the guide. if its just close and not nearly word for word, you may be in the wrong section

Wondering, is their intend to offer the PE twice a year via CBT or will it be once a month like the FE. Anybody know??
No it will be year round like the FE.

EDIT from NCEES
Testing windows are:
• January–March
• April–June
• July–September
• October–December
You can only take the exam one time per testing window and no more than three times in a 12-month period.

Last edited:
Wondering, is their intend to offer the PE twice a year via CBT or will it be once a month like the FE. Anybody know??
Year-round. And it isn't just once a month. You can take it almost any day during a two-month window. Exam will probably be offered two months on, one month off. So Jan-Feb, Apr-May, Jul-Aug, Oct-Nov.

I was thinking about that as well. I just try to remember that they will still help me study even if I can't bring them in with me for the test. Plus I like having a home library. Hopefully you will pass and not have to worry about the CBT exam! Good Luck!

For the CBT Exam, the computer screen will have a split screen with one side being the reference manual and the other side being the test. The only items you will be able to bring with you are your approved calculator & other "comfort" items as allowable.

Below is a link to a Playlist from NCEES explaining the CBT process:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZ0hjHNi9jzR8RW69ndkjIgH8bzj0ew-
Are we going to be allowed to have paper and pencil to work out
problems?

I email NCEES and asked one more question. I asked if we are only going to have the reference manual only or if we will have access to any of the references mentioned at the end of each NCEES Exam Spec. We will have access to each reference at the end of the exam spec. They did not specify whether or not we will have all references from all specs or just the references listed in your chosen discipline.
Seriously? I have been using the ce reference pdf to study for the last paper exam.
Its 300+ pages, a
You can bring in your own calculator.

they will give you scratch paper and a pen.

the PE Civil reference manual is more “abundant” than the FE manual

You also get a pdf of all the references listed at the end of the spec for each discipline.

I am Thankful the reference manual and updated specs came out now so I can start preparing. They added several references to the Geotech depth spec

Happy for you that you’ve already passed the PE 👍🏻
Have you tried to use those pdfs?
The ref guide for ce is 300+ pages and not as good as the cerm imo.
If I have to search the formula book, and code books for tables, no way.

I'm hoping I'll pass this paper, but doubtful

Back