PE Civil Paper(10/21) or CBT(4/22)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviatrix85

Reaction score
Who is planning to take the last PE Civil Paper Exam in October 2021?

Who is planning to take the First CBT PE Civil Exam in April of 2022?

Any concerns with the new CBT format for the Civil Engineering PE Exam?

I wrote NCEES and they stated the CBT PE Civil Reference book would be available for download at least 6 months prior to the April 2022 exam. You will only be able to use the NCEES Reference book for the exam (+ your calculator obviously)

Let me know your thoughts and concerns.

I'm leaning towards taking the first CBT exam.

So no other references, practice exams and binders are allowed for the CBT exam?

I'm planning to take the last P&P in October for Civil WRE.... Hopefully I don't have to panic over the wasted money I've spent on reference materials once the CBT hits.

Will we have to use the supplied-day-of reference manual, or bring in our own copy?

I'm planning to take the last P&P in October for Civil WRE.... Hopefully I don't have to panic over the wasted money I've spent on reference materials once the CBT hits.

Will we have to use the supplied-day-of reference manual, or bring in our own copy?
I was thinking about that as well. I just try to remember that they will still help me study even if I can't bring them in with me for the test. Plus I like having a home library. Hopefully you will pass and not have to worry about the CBT exam! Good Luck!

For the CBT Exam, the computer screen will have a split screen with one side being the reference manual and the other side being the test. The only items you will be able to bring with you are your approved calculator & other "comfort" items as allowable.

Below is a link to a Playlist from NCEES explaining the CBT process:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZ0hjHNi9jzR8RW69ndkjIgH8bzj0ew-

Last edited:
I forgot to mention in the original post that I sent emails to NCEES & The test administrators to request a Dark Mode option for the PE Exam. If you prefer Dark Mode while working on a computer, I suggest you do the same!

I email NCEES and asked one more question. I asked if we are only going to have the reference manual only or if we will have access to any of the references mentioned at the end of each NCEES Exam Spec. We will have access to each reference at the end of the exam spec. They did not specify whether or not we will have all references from all specs or just the references listed in your chosen discipline.

Who is planning to take the last PE Civil Paper Exam in October 2021?

Who is planning to take the First CBT PE Civil Exam in April of 2022?

Any concerns with the new CBT format for the Civil Engineering PE Exam?

I wrote NCEES and they stated the CBT PE Civil Reference book would be available for download at least 6 months prior to the April 2022 exam. You will only be able to use the NCEES Reference book for the exam (+ your calculator obviously)

Let me know your thoughts and concerns.

I'm leaning towards taking the first CBT exam.
I'll be taking the October 2021 PE Civil: Structural (second time taker, failed in April with a 50%)

The CBT will be supplied with the references and a reference manual on one half of the computer screen and the test on the other side. I took the FE exam in 2016 as computer based so I'm not too worried, but I'd rather pass it sooner than later anyway!

I'll be taking the October 2021 PE Civil: Structural (second time taker, failed in April with a 50%)

The CBT will be supplied with the references and a reference manual on one half of the computer screen and the test on the other side. I took the FE exam in 2016 as computer based so I'm not too worried, but I'd rather pass it sooner than later anyway!
Good Luck on the October exam!

I feel like the CBT test would be more difficult given you only have one reference manual that is 500+- pages I believe.

Just my speculation as well but any thoughts/opinions are very much welcomed.

Thanks!

I feel like the CBT test would be more difficult given you only have one reference manual that is 500+- pages I believe.

Just my speculation as well but any thoughts/opinions are very much welcomed.

Thanks!
yes! I have had the same thoughts as well.

I'm wondering if it may persuade test takers to evaluate which afternoon session is chosen due to having to remember things more (since we won't be able to take in our own unlimited references). I'm still planning to take Geotech because my background in construction is mostly Geotech related.

I'm wondering if it may persuade test takers to evaluate which afternoon session is chosen due to having to remember things more (since we won't be able to take in our own unlimited references). I'm still planning to take Geotech because my background in construction is mostly Geotech related.
I understand that they’ll give you the reference manual (that can also be downloaded from the NCEES website ahead of time) as well as all the individual codes. You’ll have IBC, ASCE 7, AISC 360, etc. but they’ll all be PDF and it will most certainly be limited to the references on the exam specs. So for example you can’t bring in your own practice problem sets or the official Civil Engineering Reference Manual.
I’m gonna be curious how PPI approaches this transition. Less people may be inclined to by the CERM if they can’t take it to the exam.

The PE Civil reference manual is posted!
https://account.ncees.org/reference-handbooks/You’ll have to log in to see it

I understand that they’ll give you the reference manual (that can also be downloaded from the NCEES website ahead of time) as well as all the individual codes. You’ll have IBC, ASCE 7, AISC 360, etc. but they’ll all be PDF and it will most certainly be limited to the references on the exam specs. So for example you can’t bring in your own practice problem sets or the official Civil Engineering Reference Manual.
I’m gonna be curious how PPI approaches this transition. Less people may be inclined to by the CERM if they can’t take it to the exam.
I think you're correct about the references.

Concerning the CERM - Definitely! I'm interested to see how test prep companies change their approach as well. I'm sure they will lose money in sales of prep materials. Maybe they will just focus on selling practice problems and exams. I guess they could provide guidance on how to efficiently search the NCEES Reference Manual.

Last edited:
The PE Civil reference manual is posted!
https://account.ncees.org/reference-handbooks/You’ll have to log in to see it
I went over it briefly on the transportation section of the PE civil reference manual. It’s missing a lot of information on Highway capacity. I didn’t see anything on MUTCD, Highway safety, and RDG. I assume we will not be tested on these sections for the CBT exam next April.

One positive about taking the CBT exam is that you don't have to take the test in the state where you are registered with the board

I live in Florida, but I'm registered to take the exam with approval from the Texas board. When I took the exam in Oct 2019, traveling from South Florida to Texas was exhausting and added unnecessary stress plus additional expenses to the already expensive (and excessive) registration fee for the exam. Traveling with all of my reference materials wasn't too fun either. My foundations book fell apart because of the luggage handling.

I'm looking forward to driving 30 minutes to take the exam.

Just wondering, do they allow you to bring your own calculator, or do you have to use one on computer?
Also are you allowed to use scratch paper?
I am interested to look at the reference manual.
The reference manual for the FE not exactly abundant with extra information with anything but the very minimum you needed.
I am glad I already passed the PE.

You can bring in your own calculator.

they will give you scratch paper and a pen.

the PE Civil reference manual is more “abundant” than the FE manual

You also get a pdf of all the references listed at the end of the spec for each discipline.

I am Thankful the reference manual and updated specs came out now so I can start preparing. They added several references to the Geotech depth spec

Happy for you that you’ve already passed the PE 👍🏻

Last edited:
Back