Passing structural 1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the same boat.....I am wondering if I should dispute the score at 53/80 beacuse the way that it sounds the cut was 54/80. With the hefty price tag of $1000 and a two day exam it might be worth it. I would like to take civil myself but dont know much about it and not sure if it will be easier for me
I ordered the NCEES civil-structural study guide last week when I found out I failed structural 1, it arrived this evening and I decided to try out some of the questions. I haven't looked at them all yet, but from what I've done so far, it has been a lot easier than the structural 1 study guide...even in the topics I haven't seen in about 10 years! I acutally found myself having fun going through the depth questions!

It makes me so much more confident taking the civil-structural! Maybe I can actually pass this time around! :)

I believe CA is the only state that requires a Civil PE before taking the SE - at least most of the other states I've looked into do not. Also, the cost for the new 2 day exam in GA is only $510.

I believe CA is the only state that requires a Civil PE before taking the SE - at least most of the other states I've looked into do not. Also, the cost for the new 2 day exam in GA is only $510.

Yes, just got this e-mail from NYS :

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

As you have qualified to sit for the NCEES Part B exam you may choose the exam discipline in which you wish to sit. This includes the new 16 hour Structural exam. Please note that you must pass both parts of the 16 hour structural exam before you would be eligible for licensure. Of course you may also choose to sit for the NCEES Part B 8 hour civil exam to become licensed.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

NYS Board for Engineering & Land Surveying

89 Washington Ave.

2nd Floor Mezzanine, East Wing

Albany, NY 12234-1000

[email protected]

http://www.op.nysed.gov/pe.htm

(518) 474-3817 ext 140

(518) 473-6282 (fax)

I am so pissed that they changed the exam to a 16 hour. This is a totally different ballgame...... Right now I feel like I want to say screw it and not take the exam again. It was hard enough to pass an 8 hour exam now I feel like it will be impossible to pass a 16 hour. So frustrated with this whole process.

Just chatted with NCEES regarding the new SE in Indiana- the test fee is $510 per day, not the entire test. Likely Georgia is similar.

I am so pissed that they changed the exam to a 16 hour. This is a totally different ballgame...... Right now I feel like I want to say screw it and not take the exam again. It was hard enough to pass an 8 hour exam now I feel like it will be impossible to pass a 16 hour. So frustrated with this whole process.
Steve1997,

I am in a same boat, but put it this way to see how the civil-Str depth will be the right choice for us:

1- We have studied very hard to pass the Str 1 exam, so we DO NOT need to restudy Str for the civil exam = 8 points AM + 40 points PM (60%) without AASHTO

2- for the other 4 civil topics (8 points / each): with only CERM

Geot: 5/8 (no codes)

Tran: 5/8 (some tables)

Const.: 6/8 (no codes)

Water Res: 2/8 (no codes)

Total: 18 points + 8 str AM = 26 POINTS + 32 STR PM = 58 POINTS (72.5%) WITHOUT any CUT SCORE!!!!!!!

Take it easy.

Just chatted with NCEES regarding the new SE in Indiana- the test fee is $510 per day, not the entire test. Likely Georgia is similar.
Whoa! That was not at all clear on the NCEES website, but you're probably right. I'm REALLY glad I passed...

I just got an email back and it is $494/Day in NY.....total $988

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington is the same way! I looked at sitting for my SE in WA as AK doesn't recognize the SE (yet...). Although in WA, you need to be a PE for 2 years before you can sit for the test. May be the same way in other states also.

Here is the link to the Washington SE Form. It is a PDF, just read the top section of the form. Their main page is here.

i failed it here in VA with a 49/80. i can only blame myself as i just didn't put in enough prep time. because of the switch to the 16 hr format and the cost i'm going to take the civil/structural in April.

I just found out I failed the structural 1 exam. I'm not sure what to do as I can't just take this test again. Anyone in the same position... do you have any thoughts on taking the SE exam (16 hours, $1000) vs. taking the Civil PE with a structural afternoon? I don't know a **** thing about Civil Engineering anymore....
Help?!
It depends on what your state board requires. If they only require a PE and you don't plan to work in any states that require the 16 hr exam for an SE (WA, OR, CA, IL...there are more, but I don't know them off the top of my head), then I'd say take the PE. It's MUCH easier than the 16 hr. Check with your state board, since the requirements might be in flux if they previously required the SEI but not SEII.

I dont think it matters anymore. No states offer the STR 1 anymore and I believe to take the structural exam you have to take the 16 hr. no matter what state you are in unless you take the Civil w/ structural depth

My point was that not all states that offered the SEI required it for licensing. And if they did require just the SEI, they now have to choose whether to require the 16 hour exam or just the PE Civil. The requirements for licensure vary by state.

Has anyone who failed the STR 1 decided to pay the outrageous fee and take the 16 hr this spring?

Has anyone who failed the STR 1 decided to pay the outrageous fee and take the 16 hr this spring?
I am not in this boat, but it seems to me that most of the people I have seen posting an opinion around here are going to go for the Civil/Structural test.

In my opinion, if you are, and are going to be, a Structural Engineer, take the 16 hour exam.

Back