Passing PE Score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSISON

Reaction score
Has there ever been a case where someone failed with an actual 70% (56/80) score for the Civil P.E.?

awjeez.jpg

I heard somebody once got everything right and still failed. I think I read it on ppi.

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSED THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:

I heard somebody once got everything right and still failed. I think I read it on ppi.
That is right. I forgot about that. What was the reason he failed? I think they said it was impossible or something like that.
No, I thought it was because he kept asking what the cut score was, and when he could expect to see results. :D

From What I understand, TX is the only state that can know the cutoff score, since everyone (pass or fail) gets their grade.

That is right. I forgot about that. What was the reason he failed? I think they said it was impossible or something like that.
No, I thought it was because he kept asking what the cut score was, and when he could expect to see results. :D

From What I understand, TX is the only state that can know the cutoff score, since everyone (pass or fail) gets their grade.
That's a derived score, not the actual raw cut score.

That's a derived score, not the actual raw cut score.
So you mean that noone can know the actual exact passing score, right ?

Virginia does as well.

I still want to know the statistics from Texas. It will give me something to do while I wait.

I still want to know the statistics from Texas. It will give me something to do while I wait.
I wonder if every state has their own pass score(for each discipline/concentration) based on how many PEs they wanna pass each time. Or if they decide that on a national level based on the average need for the entire US. Any thoughts?

I wonder if every state has their own pass score(for each discipline/concentration) based on how many PEs they wanna pass each time. Or if they decide that on a national level based on the average need for the entire US. Any thoughts?
Someone told that 70 is the cut score on the national level. Also, someone posted the following post on TX PE group, which sounds interesting, if so then I am really looking forward to my diagnosis report.

"A score of 70 is passing. There are 80 questions.

70% of 80 is 56, but "70" is not a straight percentage. It is based on a national curve after all the tests have been turned in and analyzed. In addition to the 'core' questions on the test, there are 'differentiation' questions that very few are meant to get. They have these questions so that they can get an idea of what kind of education universities are providing, and what graduate engineers are learning. The passing is based on the core questions.

I've heard that passing might be as low as 48 out of 80 in some years. Passing is probably around 50 out of 80 most years. After they decide what score is passing, they assign a 70 to this score and scale everything else from there."

Back