Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an offer from another company yesterday (finally get the same paid like everyone else in town and I got a 11% pay cut since 02/09 and have not have a raise since I come on board at this company) and I turn in my resignation letter yesterday before leaving work to my boss. "It's very unfortunate." that's the only thing he said. I'm glad I find a better opportunity.

Just had a $7000 raise.
Nice, what was your previous base?
I'd be interested in that as well... I have talked to my boss and the president of the company and both of them have promised me a raise since I broughtup the issue about a month ago. Nothing yet. I am looking for about $8000 or more to get around the average pay for my location. I have a bad feeling that I am going to get very angry at the insulting raise they are going to offer me. Just a feeling, we'll see what happens.

Any updates people? I like to read about others getting raises lol.
Just had a $7000 raise.
I got my requested raise right around the same amount as DannyV. :thumbs: In addition I'll still be getting a merit raise at the end of the year so that is nice too. To add to my previous post above (#140), I did get a very attractive offer from the other company (Rockwell Automation) but in light of my current employer agreeing to my raise request, I decided to stick with them as I enjoy the work I do and the people I work with. Going to the other company would have realistically only been a move for more $$.

Any updates people? I like to read about others getting raises lol.
Just had a $7000 raise.
I got my requested raise right around the same amount as DannyV. :thumbs: In addition I'll still be getting a merit raise at the end of the year so that is nice too. To add to my previous post above (#140), I did get a very attractive offer from the other company (Rockwell Automation) but in light of my current employer agreeing to my raise request, I decided to stick with them as I enjoy the work I do and the people I work with. Going to the other company would have realistically only been a move for more $$.

I've been waiting two months for my fucking raise.

Duderino,

What type of company do you work for right know? Because going to work for a manufacturer (even if you get a nice bump in salary now) can be detrimental to your career. I'm in the consulting business and there is plenty of room to growth in this business and you can't say the same about the manufacturing business.

knightfox, In my opinion you made the right choice. How much working experience do you currently have? 5,10,15 years?

Duderino,What type of company do you work for right know? Because going to work for a manufacturer (even if you get a nice bump in salary now) can be detrimental to your career. I'm in the consulting business and there is plenty of room to growth in this business and you can't say the same about the manufacturing business.
knightfox, In my opinion you made the right choice. How much working experience do you currently have? 5,10,15 years?
I think I did too. I wasn't trying to stick it to my current employer nor did I want to leverage the offer I got from the other company. I wanted to make my current employer aware that I didn't feel I was being paid average market value. And apparently they thought I was worth it. I currently work for an OEM overhead crane manufacturer in the nuclear division. I have close to 8 years in the controls/power industry. I worked in automotive before this. :puke:

Just had a $7000 raise.
I'd be interested in that as well... I have talked to my boss and the president of the company and both of them have promised me a raise since I broughtup the issue about a month ago. Nothing yet. I am looking for about $8000 or more to get around the average pay for my location. I have a bad feeling that I am going to get very angry at the insulting raise they are going to offer me. Just a feeling, we'll see what happens.
Good luck. I'm interested in knowing the outcome.

At least some of you get raises from your current employers. I, on the other hand, work for a precast concrete producer who does not have a PE on their staff. I gained all of my experience by working with the consultants we hired to design our products. We had a deal worked out with a couple of them where I would work closely with them to design the products, and they would charge us a smaller fee than if they did the full design themselves. It was a little more tedious than having a PE on staff that was here all the time, as we would have regular meetings to discuss my progress and go over any problems I was having; and there was a lot of time spent on the phone. Ultimately, it worked out, and I passed the PE exam in April 2011.

Originally when I was hired, the plan was for me to go through the process I described above and become the companies' first PE that was also "home grown". Well that backfired in my face, as once I found out I passed the PE exam, the company no longer wanted to go down this road because they didn't want to accept the added liability of having an engineer on their staff.

So I basically got fucked over. Maybe it's time to change jobs anyway, but the 10 mile commute to work (one way) is hard to compete with!

Just had a $7000 raise.

It was a about a 7% raise!!!!
Wow I am so underpaid.
Don't just assume you are underpaid, but with this economy is highty possible. There are several places online where you can compare your salary with industry standards. Also you may contact other engineers within your industry and ask( I personally called a previous boss and asked him where my salary should be). Some of the more senior guys here prepare cost estimates have seen plenty of salaries and can give you an advice too.

Back