Pass Rates for the biggest and most mysterious exam - the SE III

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can find the pass rates for the WA or CA SE III? I felt really, really good after taking the WA SE III, but there've been a few posts and websites that state that the pass rate is in the low 20s in percentile. Well, that can obviously make your confidence shrink a little. Kinda like doing a cannon ball in an ice-cold pool.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me where I can find the pass rates for the WA or CA SE III? I felt really, really good after taking the WA SE III, but there've been a few posts and websites that state that the pass rate is in the low 20s in percentile. Well, that can obviously make your confidence shrink a little. Kinda like doing a cannon ball in an ice-cold pool.
Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
See the following:

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/oct08stats.shtml

Good Luck!

McEngr,

If you go up one "directory" from the link that wmmw provided you will have access to multiple years of previous newsletters that provide the passing rates for the WA SEIII (only the spring journals since it's only offered in the fall). I looked into this in preparation of taking the SEIII a few weeks ago and found that the passing rates for the last several years have been in the 20-30% range, but for the Oct 2005 exam it was about 75%.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/engineersla...ors/elpubs.html

Ironically, through all these years there have been roughly 20-25 people that have passed the exam...Apparently if we can limit the number of test takers each year we'll have a much better chance at passing!

McEngr,
If you go up one "directory" from the link that wmmw provided you will have access to multiple years of previous newsletters that provide the passing rates for the WA SEIII (only the spring journals since it's only offered in the fall). I looked into this in preparation of taking the SEIII a few weeks ago and found that the passing rates for the last several years have been in the 20-30% range, but for the Oct 2005 exam it was about 75%.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/engineersla...ors/elpubs.html

Ironically, through all these years there have been roughly 20-25 people that have passed the exam...Apparently if we can limit the number of test takers each year we'll have a much better chance at passing!
Thanks jtubbs!

I'm really beginning to have doubts. I wonder if there are other guys like me, who not knowing how strict the grading cut score is, feel good after taking the exam believing they haven't made many (if any) mistakes. This waiting is torture in this economy. Being the sole structural consultant for a civil engineering firm, I have a lot of pressure to perform on this exam showing that I'm on par with the other structurals in town.

Thanks jtubbs!
I'm really beginning to have doubts. I wonder if there are other guys like me, who not knowing how strict the grading cut score is, feel good after taking the exam believing they haven't made many (if any) mistakes. This waiting is torture in this economy. Being the sole structural consultant for a civil engineering firm, I have a lot of pressure to perform on this exam showing that I'm on par with the other structurals in town.
I'm also curious if anyone who has taken this exam could share their thoughts on what brought them into success.

Thanks!

I'm also curious if anyone who has taken this exam could share their thoughts on what brought them into success.
Thanks!
I just realized that I used chapter 11 to calculate the shear capacity of a specially reinforced concrete moment frame column. SHOOT! I should've used chapter 21. I can't believe I did this. It's like 1/2 of 1 of the 4 problems.

I still used the special detailing requirements of chapter 21, but I failed to show the spacing by the chapter 21 equations. That's what I get for not studying enough or getting enough concrete in my experience.

As kevo's icon would say: DOH!

This ones for you McEngr:

homer-doh.jpg

:p

Do you know when to expect the WA SEIII exam result? I took the exam in October. Do I have to wait until end of Feb to find out?

Thanks,

Do you know when to expect the WA SEIII exam result? I took the exam in October. Do I have to wait until end of Feb to find out?
Thanks,
Washington is usually better prepared for exam findings than Oregon. I expect to receive results right around Super Bowl weekend. You'll most-likely see results around the end of January.

Does anyone know if the SEII results come out sooner than the SEIII? Also, do we get a letter from NCEES or do we have to wait to hear from our state board (in my case WA)?

I took the SEII and III in WA in oct. The SEIII was much harder than the SEII...I can't believe that the SEIII is only held once a year!

Does anyone know if the SEII results come out sooner than the SEIII? Also, do we get a letter from NCEES or do we have to wait to hear from our state board (in my case WA)?
I took the SEII and III in WA in oct. The SEIII was much harder than the SEII...I can't believe that the SEIII is only held once a year!
Hi RetrofiT,

When I took the SE II in Oregon, they gave me a letter like a month and a half after everyone started posting their results on here... :smileyballs: However, they congratulated me on being allowed to take the SE III. I had to read it twice to make sure I passed. Stupid OSBEELS :) Nonetheless, I think they will come out at the same time. JMHO.

McE

For WA, you will get your SEII result directly from NCEES. Last year, I got email from them on Jan 6th. Hopefully the SEIII results will be available by end of January. I am tired of waiting already.

For WA, you will get your SEII result directly from NCEES. Last year, I got email from them on Jan 6th. Hopefully the SEIII results will be available by end of January. I am tired of waiting already.
what i heard is there were way more engineers took exam this year than previous years. i hope that does not translate results to later than end of january.

22% passing rate seems very low and scary!

good luck.

Tell me about it! I think I performed very well (if I may humbly say so)... the only problem is that it may be much more difficult than my experience level. I'm pretty good with load combinations, which seemed to be almost 30% of the exam time!

I'm pretty nervous about this test. No one is helping me pay for these exams... I'm doing it for myself as most of my peers think I'm silly, and too young, to go after this test.

Tell me about it! I think I performed very well (if I may humbly say so)... the only problem is that it may be much more difficult than my experience level. I'm pretty good with load combinations, which seemed to be almost 30% of the exam time!

I'm pretty nervous about this test. No one is helping me pay for these exams... I'm doing it for myself as most of my peers think I'm silly, and too young, to go after this test.

McEngr,

You are right about Loading in general and Load Combos. All questions required doing load combination. There were too much unnecessary load information. You should be in good shape then. I think I missed, BS'ed or half answered last part of all questions, except the concrete one. So I did answer around 80% or more perhaps. I think the main issue for me was not having enough time. Overall, questions were fair but too long and some of them really required footnotes!!! I think that does not make sense at all.

Good luck!!!

Ok, just got my SEII email from NCEES, now have to wait for WA to process SEIII stuff...this next month is going to kill me!!! I can't believe they only offer this once a year!!!

Back