Parents, don't let your kids grow up to be engineers!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we've reached a point where the girls that want to go into engineering are able and willing to do so. Not once growing up did anyone tell me what I could or could not be. I personally don't care if I'm the only woman in the room or if there's only 10% of us at a conference.

Would think you guys would want to see more women at these networking functions as well
I've been to a few ASME conferences, and the mix is pretty good. Not 50/50, but not 90/10 either. Also, I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are women at networking functions of ill-repute? I work on a job site right now with 5 women, I treat them just like the men on the site and I don't look at them differently. I could care less if anyone is "easy on the eyes", I look at performance and thats it.

Would think you guys would want to see more women at these networking functions as well
I've been to a few ASME conferences, and the mix is pretty good. Not 50/50, but not 90/10 either. Also, I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are women at networking functions of ill-repute? I work on a job site right now with 5 women, I treat them just like the men on the site and I don't look at them differently. I could care less if anyone is "easy on the eyes", I look at performance and thats it.
That's great. Wish there were more like you around.

I'm in New York and the ratio is not 50/50, nowhere near that. And I'm talking specifically about Civil. Guess saying "engineering" was too broad...in construction and civil, we are under represented. Period.

I agree with you that a diverse engineering industry is an innovative one. However, why is it the government's job to incentivize minorities and women to get involved in engineering?
I don't really know WHY it is the government's job, I'm just glad they are doing something.

I think we've reached a point where the girls that want to go into engineering are able and willing to do so. Not once growing up did anyone tell me what I could or could not be. I personally don't care if I'm the only woman in the room or if there's only 10% of us at a conference.
I'm glad you had a good experience. It is refreshing to hear. I know I did not, and I also know five women that immediately come to mind that have not. Again, specific to my location and industry. Again, I'm here to say that there are plenty of opportunities in engineering, but this is not being conveyed to certain, shall we say "groups" for lack of a better word.

That's not an assumption, it is a fact.

I get the whole "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" because I did it.

I DO care that I'm the only woman in the room. I DO care about the numbers.

You should check out the GWIC conference they hold in New York City. I think you'd be amazed at some of the statistics. Floored even.

I'm in New York and the ratio is not 50/50, nowhere near that. And I'm talking specifically about Civil. Guess saying "engineering" was too broad...in construction and civil, we are under represented. Period.
When i was in school back in the eighties, there were a lot more women in civil engineering than any other branch at my school. I'd say it was probably 33% women compared to maybe 10% in mechanical.

When i was in school back in the eighties, there were a lot more women in civil engineering than any other branch at my school. I'd say it was probably 33% women compared to maybe 10% in mechanical.
Weird. I personally don't know about the 80's, but I was in college in the 90's and that was not the case (went to school in PA).

My boss went to school in the 80's (upstate NY) and that was not the case...

Same here. Civil Engineering was only outdone by ArchE in terms of women in the program. We had at least 25% representation, if not more.

And, FWIW, I'm a civil engineer working in construction. I'm kinda amazed that the east coast is that closed minded to women in engineering/construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. Civil Engineering was only outdone by ArchE in terms of women in the program. We had at least 25% representation, if not more.
And, FWIW, I'm a civil engineer working in construction. I'm kinda amazed that the east coast is that closed minded to women in engineering/construction.
It is shocking...isn't it!

I think NYC is still suffering from Wall Street Syndrome.

I'm telling you...you simply must (as a CE) check out the conference in 2012. It is top notch, and very informative;)

Engineering has been very very good to me. If it was not for engineering, I would not be in engineering today.

Chico Escuela

How many minorities and/or women are enough? Who decides and how?
When I stop walking into a room with 200 male engineers and like, 10 women...then it will be enough. (Would think you guys would want to see more women at these networking functions as well). I'll be personally happy when the numbers are 25-50%...right now, the numbers are nowhere near that.

And the numbers are worse for certain "groups."

I think the government concurs...hence the legislation and incentives.

There are movements everywhere to get young (middle and high school) girls interested in studying engineering.

Share your profession with your daughters...engineeryourlife.org and engineergirl.org

A diverse engineering industry is an innovative one.
For the record I support bringing more women into engineering. :)

JR

There are plenty of women in civil engineering on the East Coast. Or at least, I can say with lots of certainty that the DC area has plenty of female civils employed in the construction field.

I don't understand the "national interest" to increase any diversity group in a field that is already clearly open to those that want it. So long as there is opportunity, I don't think the government should get involved in a balancing act. Let private industry decide the value of diversity and pursue it as they see fit.

Frankly, we'll all be better with an environment where we don't count diversity, we don't see diversity, we just *are* diverse. And to be clear, the diversity that exists inside people is a hell of a lot more important than the diversity you can see on the outside.

Back