Parents, don't let your kids grow up to be engineers!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that the females were often the smartest people in class, so the professors gravitated towards them. Tau Beta Pi had a lot of female engineers in it...a disproportionate amount compared to enrollment figures. (Myself definitely not included in that group!)

Well, that goes without saying :)

I think what may be a more appropriate statement was that the few women that were in class were an incredibly devoted group, who really put a lot of effort into their studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the women in our group usually did a lot better, gradewise, than the guys.

Yeah, the women in our group usually did a lot better, gradewise, than the guys.

Same here. My observation is that, as a group, they had better study discipline than the guys did. In my case, working on my Camaro was much more entertaining that studying for the next Fields and Waves exam.

Just had time to read this thread. Very interesting. I've been in Engineering for 30 years and it has changed a lot for women. I have been the victim of many textbook examples of discrimination and wanted to kick myself in the butt many times for not being a nurse or teacher like I was "supposed" to be. My high school counselor actually told me that girls didn't go into Engineering, so I started in Computer Science and changed my major after a year. All in all, I have enjoyed my career and enjoy it as much now as ever. My daughter is halfway through college. She should graduate in 2 years with a BS in ME and possibly a minor in another discipline. It is obvious that her destiny is to be an engineer. It makes her happy and she is thriving at a student intern job this summer. It takes generations for cultural change to happen. I'm just glad that I'm seeing change. And, maybe the incentives are unfair and unnecessary, but sometimes it takes that to get a fair playing field.

:)

I am very thankful for women like Mary, who had a really rough time of things and weren't encouraged. She lived through true discrimination and prospered, which made it so easy for me to be an engineer today. Thank you, Mary :)

Thank you everyone for all of the responses...now I have a pdf to share from catalyst.org that a wonderful, successful mentor of mine was kind enough to share. Hope all of my collegues on EB will take the time to read this...

PO-ed

Thank you everyone for all of the responses...now I have a pdf to share from catalyst.org that a wonderful, successful mentor of mine was kind enough to share. Hope all of my collegues on EB will take the time to read this...
PO-ed
With file uploaded this time ;)

gender initiatives sounds pretty hot. The article needs pictures of girls in swimsuits and beer ads if they expect guys to read it.

Incorrigible!

My dad used to say if he were a woman, he'd walk around with a mattress strapped to his back.

I breezed through it. But, if it's about the woman initiative, where's the picture of the clean kitchen? Or dinner?

RetroGoodWifesGuide1955.jpg

Back