Out-Of_State Exam Quesions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Doan

Reaction score
Arranging to take an exam out of state

"Note: After the April 2010 exam administration, examinees will no longer be allowed to take an exam out of state. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis for examinees who are in the military.

If you are unable to take the exam in the state in which you are seeking licensure, you may be able to request to take the exam in another state. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Before your request will be considered, you must have been approved to take the exam by the licensing board with which you are seeking licensure, registered for the exam, and paid your exam fees. When submitting your request form, you must also provide a statement supporting your request.

Arranging to take an exam out of state is a separate process from registering for an exam. To register for an exam and pay your exam fee, visit the registration information page. To request to take your exam in another state, complete the NCEES online form and submit the $300 fee. If your request is denied, the fee will be refunded."

quotes above are pasted from the new ncees website

Will someone kindly explain to me little more details about the quote above, I took the FE Exam 3 times here in NC, NC board only allow their candidates to take the FE Exam up to 3 times. However, I already called and submit the CA boards the application, and I've been approved. As i read the quote above from NCEES website, base on my understanding for this new rules, I cannot take out-of-state exam after April 2010 unless I'm in military (I'm not). I tried to search for some NCEES online on this new website but couldn't. I emailed NCEES but it's take so long for them to reply! Please give me advice about this new NCEES rules.

You should apply to be a PE in a nearby state or fly to CA to take the exam there.

Your results from a PE exam will be sent to the NC board if you take the exam in NC.

By the way, the "case by case" exemption will get the NCEES in trouble via the state boards because the states have to treat all candidates the same. Allowing some people to have exams proctored but not others will cause nothing but headaches for the state boards.

This will take effect in Oct 2010 Adminstation. With the NCEES descirption that I still don't know the meaning of these. By doing these is to avoid what? I took in CA and paying CA application and after I transfer back to NY that I still paying for the application fee and required documents again in NY. (I am not earning some profits from NCEES)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back