Out of State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkBrown

Reaction score
I'm an out-of-state engineer hoping to be taking the CA special exams. I did not send in the two postcards since they are not mentioned on any of the application material I had. So everytime I call the ladies get snotty with me. Sorry, nothing I can do about it now. Anyway, how do they decide where you will take the exam and how soon before the exam will they let me know if I can take it? I've got hotel and flight arrangements to make.

Also thanks for all the advice on study materials!!

I'm an out-of-state engineer hoping to be taking the CA special exams. I did not send in the two postcards since they are not mentioned on any of the application material I had. So everytime I call the ladies get snotty with me. Sorry, nothing I can do about it now. Anyway, how do they decide where you will take the exam and how soon before the exam will they let me know if I can take it? I've got hotel and flight arrangements to make.
Also thanks for all the advice on study materials!!
I am in the same scenario. I too forgot the two post cards (I did go back and research and the instructions included this on their website). When I contacted the state board, I recieved the too bad, nothing you can do response. However, the lady did mention that unless there is something wrong with you application you should not get a response until about two weeks prior to the exam. (If something is incomplete with your application you should receive some notification). I mentioned I was out of state and wanted to confirm the location and she indicated that I should write a letter and indicate where I wanted to take the exam. Furtunately, when I submitted the application I had called to confirm a couple of items and was told to I should write on the application where I want to take the exam. I was also told if I call mid to late September, I might be able to get more info. Keep in mind this what I was told, so who knows what will actually happen, but the letter seems like a good idea..it may not guarantee your location, but it may be better than a completely ramdom location.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the similar situation but I did send my 2 postcards with my package. Hoowever, that I am still waiting for the final approve from the CA board. I send my package on 7/10/2009 to CA and they cash out my check on 7/22/2009. I know the correct and efficent procedure to take your PE exam in CA if you are from NY because I have 3 coworkers already did it (one did it on April 2009 exam).......One of my firend told me that he forgot to send 2 postcards in and he was wait there until 1.5 weeks before the exam. He then book for the hotel and air ticket on line (He can still make it with the a little higher in the price)......So he told me that don't forgot to send your 2 postcard with your address on to CA board also............However, if you have the postcards you should get it one month or 3 weeks before the exam (which is better than the 1.5 week before the exam).

Don't worry about book the airticket and the hotel because you can still got it even a week before. (The worst scenario that you can still sleep outside the testing center...just kidding)

Forgot to mention that I apply for the Oct, 2009 PE mechanical exam. I don't know that if you can still send your 2 postcards to CA with your name, address, SS#, and your FE license #.

Anyway by 8/31/2009 that I still not getting both postcards yet....still waiting...

Back