Online dating

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of one EE/ME married couple. However I don't think two engineers under one roof is a good idea as a general rule.

I would be curious to here the womans perspective of online dating!

^Agreed!

I wonder if any would admit to it if they were doing it??? lol
If I were single I would totally do online dating and not be ashamed about it. I think the older you are the harder it is. Your choices are limited so you need to go to a place where most people are looking for the same thing. I figure what do you have to lose?

I have no idea why people would be embarrassed by online dating these days. People live busy lives. If you don't meet someone through a friend of a friend, and you're not into bar-hopping, your options are pretty limited. Where else could you pre-screen your dating candidates at your leisure, and ignore the ones you have zero interest in?

Most of my internet dating exploits have been well documented on this site. MIAF contacted ME on Plenty of Fish. We were initially going to meet up at a burlesque show that I went to with friends. I had nothing to gain/lose by meeting her, and her pictures didn't do her justice, but I didn't care, as I was really only looking to meet friends. We ended up meeting elsewhere since she couldn't make it. She was hot, we hung out, we now live together, and more than likely, as much as I hate to admit it, we're probably in it for the long haul.

It's mainly because it's looked down upon to bring back SUPER old threads. 10 years old is a SUPER old thread.

It's mainly because it's looked down upon to bring back SUPER old threads. 10 years old is a SUPER old thread.
10 years ago I was taking care of a baby and a lot less gray.  Forget about on-line dating.  What's dating?

I have done online dating - I think it's a mixed bag. If anything, what it does is expose you to a larger universe of potential dates.

I would say my experience with online dating was good but I would caveat that experience by saying, I didn't expect much from it to begin with ... I didn't expect it to be better than/worse than going to a bar, going thru mutual acquaintences, etc. I think as long as you don't take as one tool in your arsenal for getting out to meet people - it's a fairly decent way to do that.

Having said all of that,

1. I think eHarmony is //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_poop.gif If you read the founders book, he has set the site up to meet your 'marrying' matched person within a few dates. I don't think most people are really looking for their next partner.

2. Most women really cannot articulate what they really want well when it comes to the level of 'independence' they are looking for within a relationship. I found that many said in their survey that's what they wanted but seeing and talking in person turned out to be a different experience.

3. Generally, most people really don't know what they want, especially if they are going through an online dating service. You have to realize the general public is not well educated nor articulate, so you cannot expect that the universe of potential dates is going to be narrowly trimmed to ones who meet your level of 'smarts' or communication-compatibility for that matter.

4. I think if you are looking to just get out, you SHOULD keep your criteria down. It's not hard to find go out with but a DATEABLE person is going to be harder. You won't know until you go out with them. A profile and a picture just doesn't go very far ... for better or worse.

5. If you are trying the online dating thing, I would prepare to be patient. Your pony isn't the only show in town. Women aren't simply going to drop everything they are doing just on the off-chance of going out with you. If you happen to find a date that can go out with you and has NO scheduling conflicts - be afraid, be very afraid!

6. Above all else, be honest with anyone you go out with - be honest about how you feel and your intentions. Practically all of your dates have met with the rejection of not getting called upon for the next date. It won't crush their fragile sensibilities. They will appreciate your honesty.

7. Have fun. That's what it is all about anyways. If you can't enjoy it - you might as well not do it.

That my //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_2cents.gif FWIW.

I would argue that there are varying degrees of what "success" could be measured against and that what you may call lowering your standards may be more aligned with not beling closed minded. //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_smile.png

JR
someone pour out a 40...

This is a great forum whether you're in a relationship or DTF, much like my grandpa, he's always DTF. 

Back