One of My Pet Peeves About P.E.'s

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intech

Reaction score
We P.E.'s need to use the P.E. behind our name in every professional situation: resume, emails letters, etc. I look at so many resumes and emails that I can hardly tell that someone is a P.E. because it's hidden somewhere at the bottom or isn't there at all. Put it proudly behind your name.

Rant over.

We P.E.'s need to use the P.E. behind our name in every professional situation: resume, emails letters, etc. I look at so many resumes and emails that I can hardly tell that someone is a P.E. because it's hidden somewhere at the bottom or isn't there at all. Put it proudly behind your name.
Rant over.
I use it in all professional situations. On my resume, At the very top, it says "FLBuff, P.E." I worked too damned hard to get my P.E. lisence to not show that I have it.

You guys are wussies. I got my license number tattooed on my chest.

Do you all write "P.E."? Or is just "PE" okay?

I think both are acceptable, like M.D. or MD. I personally prefer P.E., since they each stand for a different word.

I work with some people who hardly ever use it on anything other than engineering documents. I agree it should be used more often.

given the ever-changing regulations and the fact that the PE is only valid in the state it was issued, I'd suggest giving some consideration to where you add PE and not just automatically put it on everything "professional". You never know when something might come back and bite you as "practicing wihtout a license" or "misrepresentation" on out of state correspondence, regardless of the content. Just adding a caveat.

SapperPE said:
I not only use it on my professional stuff, but also on my birthday cards, Christmas cards, and informal emails to my family and friends... I even introduce myself to random strangers as SapperPE, P.E., just so they know my credentials. Okay, no I don't do all that.

I think both are acceptable, like M.D. or MD. I personally prefer P.E., since they each stand for a different word.
This topic reminded me of a story my father used to tell about a co-worker of his. The co-worker had his PhD in geophysics and was one of those pompous a-hats that insisted everyone should address him as "doctor". On a business trip he apparently made a point of this with the staff of a hotel they were checking into. To his surprise he was woken up in the middle of the night by the staff asking for his assistance when a woman staying at the hotel went into labor. :D

Moral of the story, it's good to convey your credentials, but be sure it is appropriate for the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
SapperPE said:
I not only use it on my professional stuff, but also on my birthday cards, Christmas cards, and informal emails to my family and friends... I even introduce myself to random strangers as SapperPE, P.E., just so they know my credentials. Okay, no I don't do all that.

This topic reminded me of a story my father used to tell about a co-worker of his. The co-worker had his PhD in geophysics and was one of those pompous a-hats that insisted everyone should address him as "doctor". On a business trip he apparently made a point of this with the staff of a hotel they were checking into. To his surprise he was woken up in the middle of the night by the staff asking for his assistance when a woman staying at the hotel went into labor. :D

Moral of the story, it's good to convey your credentials, but be sure it is appropriate for the situation.
This is really the only reason I'd ever want a PhD, so that when they announce "Is there a doctor aboard this plane?" I can raise my hand.

This is really the only reason I'd ever want a PhD, so that when they announce "Is there a doctor aboard this plane?" I can raise my hand.
This happened the last time I flew. A passenger had a seizure or something like that. Both a doctor and EMT were on the plane, and they tended to the woman back in the food prep cabin. They high tailed it into the gate and had an ambulance waiting for us.

I dont ever use it, I feel that it can bring about unwanted higher expectations (even if im not stamping anything at that moment). I have found that people dont like to give prestige but instead I would worry about someone saying oh your a PE how did you F up that unit conversion. So I just dont even go there unless its verbal and in a social setting where I can use it to gloat but dont have to worry about it biting me in the a**. Under rare circumstance I will bring it up during work functions if someone wants to engage in unnessicary levels of checking but thats about it. If I had a PhD I might put that at the end of my name because everyone understands that PhD's are acadamia level credentials and are rarely relavent to day to day work functions, people might even think oh he is a PhD thats why he Fed up this munane detail.

Back