Old highway designs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udpolo15

Reaction score
I am trying to locate old highway designs from a state route in Pennsylvania. Not sure the construction history, but I have a nearby project that this design my influence. Any tips/suggestions on locating old designs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking for original design drawings or the record/as-builts?

For the record/as-builts I would start with Penn DOT. Then I would talk with the County. Between the two, they *should* have the record/as-built drawings or at least be able to tell you where to find them. The next place to check (which is a long-shot) would be to go through public records at either the courthouse or the local libraries. Some states and counties are better than others when it comes to maintaining record/as-built drawings.

Colorado DOT has an archive room for all of their as-built drawings that is open to the public. They only charge a fee if you want copies (because they won't let you leave with the originals)

Check on local engineers in your area. They may have worked on the original project or have bought an old engineer firms plans. In rural areas private engineer companies may have done some of the original work. Could come in handy to find out if there was any old "dump" areas for previous highway work.

I am trying to locate old highway designs from a state route in Pennsylvania. Not sure the construction history, but I have a nearby project that this design my influence. Any tips/suggestions on locating old designs?
Here in Tennessee the DOT headquarters has a records room that would have those plans. If it is really old it may be hand drawn mylars but you could get something.

Latest posts

Back