October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does problem difficulty play a role in cut scores or they just straight up look at the number of right answers? 
  • All questions are weighted the same when calculating your exam score.
  • Each question is weighted differently when calculating the passing score.
  • After each pencil-and-paper exam administration, every exam undergoes extensive statistical analysis to determine the minimum level of performance required for entry into the profession.
  • When the analyses and reviews are completed, NCEES changes the answer keys as necessary. The passing score and final correct answers for each exam are then used to score all answer sheets. A percentage of the answer sheets are manually verified, and the results are compared to the machine score to ensure accuracy.
  • Professional Activities and Knowledge Study (PAKS) is used to develop the exam specification, and according to NCEES: “The results of this online survey will be sued to update specifications for the exam, which is used throughout the United States for licensing purposes.” A survey design meeting precedes the PAKS meeting. The survey is sent to active PEs in that field, and the survey results informs the PAKS meeting.
  • There is a question bank where questions are pulled to produce exam sessions.
  • The passing score weight of each question is determined during an in-person meeting (committee and non-committee members in attendance).

Where is the information for the control systems cut score meeting? I can't find anything on the NCEES website about that. I read in the October newsletter that the Committee on Examinations for Professional Engineers (EPE) was meeting November 21-23.
They might have forgot to add it or might have the meeting later. We are not sure...

• All questions are weighted the same when calculating your exam score.
  • Each question is weighted differently when calculating the passing score.
  • After each pencil-and-paper exam administration, every exam undergoes extensive statistical analysis to determine the minimum level of performance required for entry into the profession.
  • When the analyses and reviews are completed, NCEES changes the answer keys as necessary. The passing score and final correct answers for each exam are then used to score all answer sheets. A percentage of the answer sheets are manually verified, and the results are compared to the machine score to ensure accuracy.
  • Professional Activities and Knowledge Study (PAKS) is used to develop the exam specification, and according to NCEES: “The results of this online survey will be sued to update specifications for the exam, which is used throughout the United States for licensing purposes.” A survey design meeting precedes the PAKS meeting. The survey is sent to active PEs in that field, and the survey results informs the PAKS meeting.
  • There is a question bank where questions are pulled to produce exam sessions.
  • The passing score weight of each question is determined during an in-person meeting (committee and non-committee members in attendance).
Thanks. 

Nah, it's not that bad. 8-10 weeks is nromal for the old blue-book style exams, so anything prior to 2008 for PE. I think SE still releases after 8-0 weeks.
I'm not wrong, though. 😉 There are two reasons I mention it:

1. First and most importantly, because it's funny. 😁
  2. Also, we all know 8-10 weeks is BS at this point. Since the FE went CBT, it's been 5-8 weeks, pretty much across the board. However, you haven't heard me complain because NCEES is doing something about it. Roughly 8-10 days (for a CBT exam) is much more reasonable than 8-10 weeks. In the meantime, we're stuck in exam results purgatory...

Contacted [email protected], asking if Controls meeting has taken place.  Here's the (horrible) response:

Thank you for contacting NCEES with your questions and concerns. I will do my best to address them for you.

The PE Control Systems Standard Setting Study, or "Cut Score meeting" as you referred to it, has yet to take place.

Regards,

Jason
--Jason J. Gamble[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Contacted [email protected], asking if Controls meeting has taken place.  Here's the (horrible) response:

Thank you for contacting NCEES with your questions and concerns. I will do my best to address them for you.

The PE Control Systems Standard Setting Study, or "Cut Score meeting" as you referred to it, has yet to take place.

Regards,

Jason
--Jason J. Gamble[email protected]How would you rate my reply?
Eek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you implying that the email sent is harassment?
No, and I'm stopping this here, but if your email was actually meant to surmise a release date based on the controls meeting, then you've actually wasted a staffer's time with a question based on humor on this forum. Just sayin', I wouldn't take any real-life action based on anything you read here.

I have a funny feeling results will be out next week. Just a feeling, nothing concrete.

Back