October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there was a section I busted my ass to finish back in June (right around when things were crazy with my move), and the project manager emailed me just now saying that he finally read it and wants to get it wrapped up this month. 

Has anyone thought about holiday shopping yet?  How do you keep your gifts to your spouse a surprise?  I’m think of picking up a visa gift card so he can’t see what I bought on the bank statement.
We have separate cards, so that isn't a problem per se. Even our joint card doesn't really give anything away other than price and location.

However even researching and buying stuff online is a problem because of tracking cookies. The moment one of us searches for a product, it appears as ads on both of our electronics. Incognito mode doesn't always work either. So I do my shopping/researching on a friend/family member computer.  This methods has worked well that last four-five years.

I still struggle with knitting. I'm not great at it but am able to make simple scarves and cowls.  There are some decent youtube tutorials for left-handed folks in knitting/crochet.
I learned how to knit...I have an ongoing L-shaped washcloth/dishcloth situation that I created...no patterns, no ending in site... just knitting. lol

Needless to say, I need to start over and go through a series of classes to learn how to cast on (again), and how to follow a pattern, and how to finish it all up.

That sounds potentially ominous?
The osteopath just manipulates muscles, joints, nerves, etc so I don't like to do any workouts for at least 12 hours after since I always feel achey but it isn't usually obvious until I try to run lol 

I learned how to knit...I have an ongoing L-shaped washcloth/dishcloth situation that I created...no patterns, no ending in site... just knitting. lol

Needless to say, I need to start over and go through a series of classes to learn how to cast on (again), and how to follow a pattern, and how to finish it all up.
Ooo that's fun! :D   Haha I feel like I need to constantly refresh myself on the basics...I realized several months ago that I was doing the purl stitch incorrectly (was wrapping the yarn in the opposite direction). 

What keeps me from completely diving into knitting is if I drop a stitch...I have such a hard time fixing mistakes.

What keeps me from completely diving into knitting is if I drop a stitch...I have such a hard time fixing mistakes.
That's a skill you learn by knitting more. Once you can read your knitting, you can fix mistakes. 

Have you read the original Stitch N Bitch book? She talks about how the stitches are oriented on the needle, and that helped me a lot with learning how to fix mistakes. 

That's a skill you learn by knitting more. Once you can read your knitting, you can fix mistakes. 

Have you read the original Stitch N Bitch book? She talks about how the stitches are oriented on the needle, and that helped me a lot with learning how to fix mistakes. 
I do have the original book, I need to read thru it...I just get sooo frustrated when I drop a stitch and have to go back and fix it...I know there are ways to fix it with a crochet hook, but I just haven't picked up on that yet. Will definitely take a read through the Stitch n Bitch book.

Anybody on here do project management?  I'm a relatively new PM and it has been a learning curve. Do you ever move past the "I'm a total dumbass" phase?
Yes. From experience, that feeling will pass. After about a year I stopped feeling like a total dumbass. I still was/am a total dumbass, but I didn't feel like one anymore!

I remember sitting for the PMP (for the third time because I didn't bother studying the other two times) and I hated that feeling of waiting at the computer to see if I passed. There were a lot of emotions coursing through my body over a short period of time. I still remember that feeling and it was awful. 

I guess that's why I don't mind the wait so much (ignore my momentary freak out from this morning). I don't like instant change. I gotta ease into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember sitting for the PMP (for the third time because I didn't bother studying the other two times) and I hated that feeling of waiting at the computer to see if I passed. It was a lot of emotions coursing through my body over a little bit of time. I still remember that feeling and it was awful. 

I guess that's why I don't mind the wait so much (ignore my momentary freak out from this morning). I don't like instant change. I gotta ease into it.
I heard the PMP is hard!

speaking of the word "gotta"... my daughter loves to read. she will read anything. it's interesting how difficult it is to explain the word "gotta" and "kinda" and "sorta" to a kid who doesn't understand why we have words in the English language that represent improper spelling and grammar. lol

speaking of the word "gotta"... my daughter loves to read. she will read anything. it's interesting how difficult it is to explain the word "gotta" and "kinda" and "sorta" to a kid who doesn't understand why we have words in the English language that represent improper spelling and grammar. lol
ooohhh, do we now get to have another discussion on ethno-linguistics in the spam thread?!

I heard the PMP is hard!
If you work in PM all the time, then the exam is hard. what you do in the real world does not apply to this exam. I've been in project management my entire career... I had to throw everything I knew out of the window and walk into studying with an empty mind. That exam is about answering the questions the way PMI wants you to answer them and not actually doing anything that is common practice in project management. 

I actually thought studying for the PE was refreshing because, in fact, some of the questions relied on actual experience and more importantly, when I had to make an educated guess, I found that my experience helped in that department. But the study skills I learned from preparing for the PMP helped me to look at some PE topics with a clean slate because I didn't carry any "baggage" with me. I just knew I had to study it and know how to do whatever problem to just pass the exam. It's not about if I'm right and whoever wrote this question doesn't understand construction, etc. I just had to get the answer right.

ooohhh, do we now get to have another discussion on ethno-linguistics in the spam thread?!
link me. maybe I can gather some info to help me explain this to her. 

She's in love with this book called Noodlehead Nightmares. The noodles, Mac and Mac, talk about how they are "kinda scared". That word trips her up every time.

If you work in PM all the time, then the exam is hard. what you do in the real world does not apply to this exam. I've been in project management my entire career... I had to throw everything I knew out of the window and walk into studying with an empty mind. That exam is about answering the questions the way PMI wants you to answer them and not actually doing anything that is common practice in project management. 

I actually thought studying for the PE was refreshing because, in fact, some of the questions relied on actual experience and more importantly, when I had to make an educated guess, I found that my experience helped in that department. But the study skills I learned from preparing for the PMP helped me to look at some PE topics with a clean slate because I didn't carry any "baggage" with me. I just knew I had to study it and know how to do whatever problem to just pass the exam. It's not about if I'm right and whoever wrote this question doesn't understand construction, etc. I just had to get the answer right.
^this is what i've heard.

my company did a big push for the PMP a few years ago (plus the APM-ish (?) version, CAPM) and this is what folks were saying. 

I said fuck it since I have zero interest in the PM side of things. And It was about 6.5 years ago that they had everyone do the class & stuff but not since *shrugs* 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back