October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't know if I could do that.  I like being in a semi-metro area where I can find different food/places/people and be close to an airport and other stuff.  I think the median income in Indy is low(ish)?  But it's rising because of the hospitals/nearby college and a bunch of 'luxury' apartments going up.  Which I would never rent, since I worked in development and know that something that goes up that fast doesn't have good insulation.  I think Indy is going to blow up in the next 5-years due to the lower COL and some other stuff getting revitalized/gentrified.

I think once I get a loan or two paid off, I'll be sitting pretty.  But until then, it's a JK grind until I'm able.
We have all that. I'm only 15-20 minutes from an airport, and there are tons of local restaurants and places. "Local" is a big thing around here.

I looked it up (because I'm an engineer, duh) and it looks like the average property tax collected in Rockingham county, NH last year was about 1.74% of the assessed value.

In Franklin County, OH, it varies (a lot) based on what school district you're in, but it's typically between about 1.7 and 2.2%.

:dunno:
I pay 2% for cook county Chicago in a suburb with good schools. But there are other counties where it can get higher.

We have all that. I'm only 15-20 minutes from an airport, and there are tons of local restaurants and places. "Local" is a big thing around here.
But I don't want 'local'.  I want a mixture of people with a collaboration.  I want noise.  I want opera.  I want to go clubbing.  I want to try new things and not be stuck in a mayonnaise on white bread lifestyle.

@NikR Hey yeah, lawyer-up and get that property reassessed!  My parents do it yearly in Suffolk County.

I looked it up (because I'm an engineer, duh) and it looks like the average property tax collected in Rockingham county, NH last year was about 1.74% of the assessed value.

In Franklin County, OH, it varies (a lot) based on what school district you're in, but it's typically between about 1.7 and 2.2%.

:dunno:
So the town I grew up in is about 2.1% 

NH has the 3rd highest property taxes in the US

I pay 2% for cook county Chicago in a suburb with good schools. But there are other counties where it can get higher.
My property tax was higher than my mortgage payment every month in kane County 

Yeah I don't like HOAs. I don't like someone else telling me I have to keep my lawn mowed (it's happened). If I want to let it grow, then I should be allowed to let it grow. This is 'merica.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I don't want 'local'.  I want a mixture of people with a collaboration.  I want noise.  I want opera.  I want to go clubbing.  I want to try new things and not be stuck in a mayonnaise on white bread lifestyle.

@NikR Hey yeah, lawyer-up and get that property reassessed!  My parents do it yearly in Suffolk County.
I'll pass on noise & clubbing but I like your other sentiments. 

Yeah I don't like HOAs. I don't like someone else telling me I have to keep my lawn mowed (it's happened). If I want to let it grow, then I should be allowed to let it grow. This is 'merica.
I agree. Ours are not that strict expect where to place your satellite dish. And they clean/shovel the snow and mow the grass. But yes, I am planning to get away from it since its an additional for 'life payment' like taxes. 

Not having an HOA was helpful during my PE exam study period when I didn't make time for much else, other than family. I paid for it in nasty looks from my neighbors, though (We're on good terms now)

It's not like we're a rural town. We have a downtown scene with awesome local (not chain) restaurants, bars, shops, etc. It's just not yugh.

It's not like we're a rural town. We have a downtown scene with awesome local (not chain) restaurants, bars, shops, etc. It's just not yugh.
It is yugher than where I moved from, though. The "downtown" scene area where I moved from was only like 1 street. There were other streets, but it just wasn't booming. Here, on the other hand, it's a real downtown. With blocks and blocks of stuff.

I'll just settle with not sharing a wall with someone unrelated to me.
also this.

apt 5: for some reason the shared wall was the bedrooms (this was a standalone duplex) with the kitchen on an outside wall (with an unheated basement so frozen pipes were a real threat). And my neighbors were in their late 50s (my mom is early 50s) and it basically felt like I was living with my parents. Did not like. on so many levels. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back