Oct 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took Civil Transportation in PA; nice location and surprisingly quiet. The AM definitely had more water resources and structural questions than I expected, but it didn't seem too difficult. PM had a decent amount of questions straight out of the references so I was glad I brought almost all of them (didn't have the ADA one). Unfortunately have been second-guessing myself for the last few days about how well I did. Guess we will see next month!

Civil Transportation also.... Morning was a nightmare but I shook it off and the afternoon was a breath of fresh air. Am 20-23 pm 30-33 plus the hell Mary answer on the remaining. Will be studying for April.

Civil Transportation also.... Morning was a nightmare but I shook it off and the afternoon was a breath of fresh air. Am 20-23 pm 30-33 plus the hell Mary answer on the remaining. Will be studying for April.
Don't count the chickens till they aren't hatched. You may be in for one damn surprise.

Gotta have faith buddy

Hello y’all,

Here’s my experience:

Prep Works:
[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]I took the EET AM and PM Live Webinar Review course. I did all the examples, problems, and exams supplied by EET.

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]A co-worker took SOPE and shared the AM notes with me; so, I also reviewed all of the SOPE AM notes and completed all SOPE examples and problems.

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]I did the current edition of the NCESS WRE Sample Exam. I also did the AM portion of the previous edition of the NCESS Trans Sample Exam (that I inhered from a co-worker).

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]I didn’t keep track of how many hours I spent preparing for this exam, but my ballpark estimate is about 350-400 hours.

Prep Materials:
[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Three 5-inch Binder (EET AM+PM notes; SOPE AM notes. Two for AM; One for PM.) [used for about 85% of the exam.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]NCEES WRE Sample Exam (Current Ed) [Didn’t use during the exam; but definitely a must have in my opinion. However, the Sample Exam is easier than the real thing.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]NCEES Trans Sample Exam (Previous Ed) [Didn’t use during the exam.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]CERM [used a few times in the AM for Geotech and Construction. Didn’t use in the PM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Three WRE References [Didn’t use in the AM. Used each a few times for qualitative questions in the PM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Five EnvE References [Didn’t use during the exam; but Metcalf & Eddy was a good reference during studying.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Two Geotech References [used each a few times for qualitative questions in the AM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Five Structural References [used the AISC Steel a few times for equations in the AM. Didn’t use the other four.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Four Trans References [Didn’t use.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]One Engineering Dictionary [used for one qualitative question in the AM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]WRE 6-Minute Solution [i bought this; but the questions are so difficult that I didn’t even attempt them.]

AM:
I finished 80% of the morning portion in about 2.5 hours. The remaining 20% are mostly the “either-you-know-it-or-you-don’t” qualitative questions that I wasn’t sure on. I spent the remaining time to redo/check the one I was sure on and research on those that I wasn’t. I was able to find some in the references I brought; but had to make some guesses on about 5 questions after eliminating one or two choices.

PM:
I finished closed to 90% of the afternoon portion in about 3 hours. Again, the remaining questions are those qualitative questions and applied the same strategy I used in the morning. At the end, I had to make some guesses on about 3 questions after eliminating one or two choices and which I now know I picked the wrong answers :( . I would say the PM is slightly easier than the AM for me.

Final Thought:
Given that I was able to solve that 80-85% questions, I am 75% confident that I got more than 70%. My concern is that I got tricked by NCEES multiple times and yet failed to recognize them after the re-check... Anyway, are we in mid-December yet?

p.s. Thanks for reading till the end :)

Prep Materials:

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Three 5-inch Binder (EET AM+PM notes; SOPE AM notes. Two for AM; One for PM.) [used for about 85% of the exam.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]NCEES WRE Sample Exam (Current Ed) [Didn’t use during the exam; but definitely a must have in my opinion. However, the Sample Exam is easier than the real thing.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]NCEES Trans Sample Exam (Previous Ed) [Didn’t use during the exam.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]CERM [used a few times in the AM for Geotech and Construction. Didn’t use in the PM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Three WRE References [Didn’t use in the AM. Used each a few times for qualitative questions in the PM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Five EnvE References [Didn’t use during the exam; but Metcalf & Eddy was a good reference during studying.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Two Geotech References [used each a few times for qualitative questions in the AM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Five Structural References [used the AISC Steel a few times for equations in the AM. Didn’t use the other four.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]Four Trans References [Didn’t use.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]One Engineering Dictionary [used for one qualitative question in the AM.]

[SIZE=12pt]• [/SIZE]WRE 6-Minute Solution [i bought this; but the questions are so difficult that I didn’t even attempt them.]

Which depth exam did you take? That's an awful lot of references!

Looks like water resources to me judging by those references.

Prep Materials:

Three 5-inch Binder (EET AM+PM notes; SOPE AM notes. Two for AM; One for PM.) [used for about 85% of the exam.]

NCEES WRE Sample Exam (Current Ed) [Didnt use during the exam; but definitely a must have in my opinion. However, the Sample Exam is easier than the real thing.]

NCEES Trans Sample Exam (Previous Ed) [Didnt use during the exam.]

CERM [used a few times in the AM for Geotech and Construction. Didnt use in the PM.]

Three WRE References [Didnt use in the AM. Used each a few times for qualitative questions in the PM.]

Five EnvE References [Didnt use during the exam; but Metcalf & Eddy was a good reference during studying.]

Two Geotech References [used each a few times for qualitative questions in the AM.]

Five Structural References [used the AISC Steel a few times for equations in the AM. Didnt use the other four.]

Four Trans References [Didnt use.]

One Engineering Dictionary [used for one qualitative question in the AM.]

WRE 6-Minute Solution [i bought this; but the questions are so difficult that I didnt even attempt them.]
Which depth exam did you take? That's an awful lot of references!

I don't know how you guys have such an accurate depiction of how an 8 hour exam went. As the days go on I have more and more self doubt and can't figure out if its justified or not... Help me out here!?

Morning Session (Mech): I remember leaving the morning session feeling fairly good about it and glad I studied what I did. My guess is that I guessed on somewhere around 2 - 5 problems, 10 would be a conservative guesstimate. Then I had lunch with a friend who was doing civil and said his morning session was horrible. I think that somehow subconsciously influenced me into thinking that my morning session went horrible!

Afternoon Session (HVAC): I had at least seen all the material at one point or another. I was very surprised at how hard most of the problems were though, as I went through marking them off (1, 2, 3) I realized I knew how to do a lot of the 2's or 3's but that they would take me a good 10-15 minutes to solve. A lot of them I knew I would have to look up the info for and I didn't know exactly where to find it. One problem I found the answer in one my references almost word for word, miracle shot. I had never even opened that book while studying. Anyway, the afternoon problems got embedded in my mind much more than the morning problems so I was able to figure out that I have definitely gotten at least 6 wrong in the afternoon session. Including those I got wrong, I probably guessed on somewhere in the range of 10-15 problems, maybe 20 would be conservative.

I have no clue how accurate these numbers even are! I know for a fact that I got at least 6 wrong. What do you guess think? I need honest opinions on this, I feel like a crazy person! Is this just self doubt or reality? Thoughts on what your gut feeling is, pass or fail?

AK I'm in nearly the same boat as you. I'm freaking out for the results but praying for the best!

I don't know how you guys have such an accurate depiction of how an 8 hour exam went. As the days go on I have more and more self doubt and can't figure out if its justified or not... Help me out here!?

Morning Session (Mech): I remember leaving the morning session feeling fairly good about it and glad I studied what I did. My guess is that I guessed on somewhere around 2 - 5 problems, 10 would be a conservative guesstimate. Then I had lunch with a friend who was doing civil and said his morning session was horrible. I think that somehow subconsciously influenced me into thinking that my morning session went horrible!

Afternoon Session (HVAC): I had at least seen all the material at one point or another. I was very surprised at how hard most of the problems were though, as I went through marking them off (1, 2, 3) I realized I knew how to do a lot of the 2's or 3's but that they would take me a good 10-15 minutes to solve. A lot of them I knew I would have to look up the info for and I didn't know exactly where to find it. One problem I found the answer in one my references almost word for word, miracle shot. I had never even opened that book while studying. Anyway, the afternoon problems got embedded in my mind much more than the morning problems so I was able to figure out that I have definitely gotten at least 6 wrong in the afternoon session. Including those I got wrong, I probably guessed on somewhere in the range of 10-15 problems, maybe 20 would be conservative.

I have no clue how accurate these numbers even are! I know for a fact that I got at least 6 wrong. What do you guess think? I need honest opinions on this, I feel like a crazy person! Is this just self doubt or reality? Thoughts on what your gut feeling is, pass or fail?
AK Eyes,

I feel exactly the same about my performance in both AM and PM exam. I would have felt better if you had taken Mechanical Systems and Materials PM...at least we both have helped each other for pulling the curve down ;)

Anyone on here take HVAC afternoon? I'd love to hear your thoughts
I took the HVAC afternoon... #Challenge. Was mad about electrical question showing up on the PM section though. I had to guess on about 4 or 5. Heat transfer problems took me for a loop. Who calculates composite wall systems by hand anyways????

Composite wall problems should not take that long to calculate once you set up your thermal circuit equation.
True... I just botched the hell out of them... And ended up taking educated guesses based on knowledge of thermal resistance of an item... Glad there were only a few though.

All in all I felt good. Would be devastated (like everybody else) if I fail though. I studied like a madman since labor day. Like a minimum of 5 hours per weekday and probably like 14 hours on the weekend. Nearly 40 hours per week while working full time! I'd be crushed if I fail!

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was hard. I ended up guessing on a simple heat transfer problem too. It wasn't that the problem was difficult I just could not for the life of me find all the R-Values and film coefficients needed to solve the problem. I've figured out 6 problems I got wrong in the afternoon... electrical being one of em....
Yeah your def not the only one. But all in all I think the exam was fair, just way harder than the ncees practice exam. I couldn't find anyone else at my test location that was HVAC. Where did you take exam? I was in CT.
I took it in Houston. It was at NRG stadium and there were probably about 700 people taking the test! I was #435. No clue how many mechanical or HVAC though.
I was also there at NRG...around 50 test takes away...based on the reference books that I noticed I was surrounded by HVAC guys..of course ppl sitting next to me were civil but next to them it was all HVAC

Anyone on here take HVAC afternoon? I'd love to hear your thoughts
I took the HVAC afternoon... #Challenge. Was mad about electrical question showing up on the PM section though. I had to guess on about 4 or 5. Heat transfer problems took me for a loop. Who calculates composite wall systems by hand anyways????

Composite wall problems should not take that long to calculate once you set up your thermal circuit equation.
True... I just botched the hell out of them... And ended up taking educated guesses based on knowledge of thermal resistance of an item... Glad there were only a few though.

All in all I felt good. Would be devastated (like everybody else) if I fail though. I studied like a madman since labor day. Like a minimum of 5 hours per weekday and probably like 14 hours on the weekend. Nearly 40 hours per week while working full time! I'd be crushed if I fail!

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was hard. I ended up guessing on a simple heat transfer problem too. It wasn't that the problem was difficult I just could not for the life of me find all the R-Values and film coefficients needed to solve the problem. I've figured out 6 problems I got wrong in the afternoon... electrical being one of em....
Yeah your def not the only one. But all in all I think the exam was fair, just way harder than the ncees practice exam. I couldn't find anyone else at my test location that was HVAC. Where did you take exam? I was in CT.
I took it in Houston. It was at NRG stadium and there were probably about 700 people taking the test! I was #435. No clue how many mechanical or HVAC though.
I was also there at NRG...around 50 test takes away...based on the reference books that I noticed I was surrounded by HVAC guys..of course ppl sitting next to me were civil but next to them it was all HVAC
Dang really! I've only found one other HVAC test taker on this forum. From what I can tell from the forums the Mechanical Systems and Materials test was rough too.

Back