Oct 2012 PE Civil Exam - How did you do ? Morning v/s Afternoon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macclenny07

Reaction score
Oct 2012 PE Civil Exam - How did you do ? Morning v/s Afternoon (Transportation, Geotech, WR/Env., Construction)

I talk to aguy that just toolk the PE Civil, with Geotech Depth, he said Geo was tough, lets see what the polls says.

Took the structural depth, which was much more "do-able" than the morning section. The AM test was awful. I am not looking forward to these results, I have a feeling I may be taking this again....

The morning was a bit tough and unexpected, but the afternoon (structural) was brutal!

The morning session was a bit tough, but the afternoon (structural) was brutal!

I think the afternoon transportation was easier than the morning session. I think I may have 26 correct (give and take a few errors), but not counting the ones that I may have guessed correctly. I may have missed about 4 in the afternoon because of lack of time to finish. I pray that I pass this darn thing, as one has to study so so much, just to test on this small amount of problems that showed up.

Transportation depth, first time. I was told several horror stories, so I think the entire test seemed more straightforward to me than I had anticipated. I think NCEES does a great job of administering conceptual questions to truly test your knowledge of "how stuff works". You either get it or you don't on several of the word problems.

I left the morning feeling I got 32-34 correct, 34-35 in the afternoon. You can't have too many manuals for the transportation depth!

Transportation depth, first time. I was told several horror stories, so I think the entire test seemed more straightforward to me than I had anticipated. I think NCEES does a great job of administering conceptual questions to truly test your knowledge of "how stuff works". You either get it or you don't on several of the word problems.

I left the morning feeling I got 32-34 correct, 34-35 in the afternoon. You can't have too many manuals for the transportation depth!

I agree.....transpo requires a ton of references.

This is my second time taking Geo, not recommended for anyone at all to take a Geo tech. Last time was tough but Oct exam was tougher. I had 4 reference manual which they didn’t help me.

Never ever take Geotech! I failed three times taking Geotech and the last time I took Transpo and passed!! It was so much easier.

Never ever take Geotech! I failed three times taking Geotech and the last time I took Transpo and passed!! It was so much easier.
Oh yes, I am thinking about transportation if I don't pass it this time, But I am wondering if NCEES don't want to change the questions level in Geo tech it is better to eliminate it from PE exam because it is really waste of time to practice for it. I think most of questions were from other world, at least I couldn't find definition questions in my 5 reference manuals. I think you have to be someone from space or astronaut or … to answer Geo-tech questions. It is not fair, I hope NCEES take a look at the results and match it with others.

Oh yes, I am thinking about transportation if I don't pass it this time, But I am wondering if NCEES don't want to change the questions level in Geo tech it is better to eliminate it from PE exam because it is really waste of time to practice for it. I think most of questions were from other world, at least I couldn't find definition questions in my 5 reference manuals. I think you have to be someone from space or astronaut or … to answer Geo-tech questions. It is not fair, I hope NCEES take a look at the results and match it with others.
Geotech was doable for me since my Civil MS concentration was geotech and I had been working for a geotech firm for a few years when I took the exam. I referred to my grad school notes and Das the entire exam, so I can't imagine taking it without having that background. It's definitely easier to take a more general field like construction or transportation where you don't have to be balls deep in the material every day in order to understand the concepts.

Back