Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much - I really appreciate a reference to the studies, because I'd been having a hard time finding anything. The gym's owner did say they didn't have any cases linked to them, and I had been a little skeptical of that claim (I thought, is he just trying to get a new client?) Hearing about the studies definitely makes me feel better. I signed up and will be attending my first session Friday!
Hm. I may have to retract that part about gyms not having much transmission risk.

I definitely remember hearing several news stories to that effect. But I was just doing some Google searching for those articles. I found a couple "old" articles from 2020 that indicate that risks at gyms appeared to be low. But I found many more news stories from 2021 about documented cases of major transmissions at gyms. So I guess new info trumps old info. Sorry about that.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't join a gym. Working out has many physical and psychological benefits, as you pointed out. But I guess it can be risky, so you have to be careful.

Last edited:
Since autumn 2020 gyms are open with the distance keeping and more or lees same rules as above.
Swimming pool is open as usual, but less people.
For the large networks of the gyms - they got opened pretty much fast with some restrictions. The most important, that they are.
Virus transmission danger is high in a closed place, where everyone is deep breathing fast, but I think, it is not outstanding from any other public places and transport.

I read in news that some gyms prohibited BTS music. There might be a lot of fancy cases from place to place.

Without threat, have a great exercise txjennah!

Hm. I may have to retract that part about gyms not having much transmission risk.

I definitely remember hearing several news stories to that effect. But I was just doing some Google searching for those articles. I found a couple "old" articles from 2020 that indicate that risks at gyms appeared to be low. But I found many more news stories from 2021 about documented cases of major transmissions at gyms. So I guess new info trumps old info. Sorry about that.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't join a gym. Working out has many physical and psychological benefits, as you pointed out. But I guess it can be risky, so you have to be careful.
Thank you, and no worries at all! It's hard to keep up to date with everything on the variants. And knowing that this likely will be endemic, I'm at the point where I've done everything to protect myself and others by getting vaccinated/boosters - now I have to consider how my mental health is affected if I continue to abstain from higher risk activities. I didn't use to feel it so much, but WFH full-time has killed any enjoyment I get from working out at home, lol.

I'm going to use the approach that I've been using when going out to eat - I'm going to do it, but will go on off-periods where there may not be as many people. The boot camp currently has five people. And I'm checking out a yoga studio that lets you see how many people booked a class in advance. I went to a 6:30 am class this morning and there were only two of us there. It was awesome!

Since autumn 2020 gyms are open with the distance keeping and more or lees same rules as above.
Swimming pool is open as usual, but less people.
For the large networks of the gyms - they got opened pretty much fast with some restrictions. The most important, that they are.
Virus transmission danger is high in a closed place, where everyone is deep breathing fast, but I think, it is not outstanding from any other public places and transport.

I read in news that some gyms prohibited BTS music. There might be a lot of fancy cases from place to place.

Without threat, have a great exercise txjennah!
Thanks so much :) Day 2 of going to an early exercise class, and I can already feel the difference mentally :)

Hi friends!

I am wondering if anyone here has returned to the gym/fitness classes. If so, do you work out masked/unmasked? Any issues with working out in a group setting?

I've been working out at home (even pre-COVID), but since I am full-time WFH now, I'm getting to a point where I think I need group exercise classes for my mental health. I've also been getting more and more injuries working out at home, so would prefer to be in a place with professionals who can correct my form if needed.

I'm fully vaxxed/boosted and generally have returned to "normal" life after getting vaccinated earlier this spring (i.e. traveling, eating indoors - but not during peak times, etc), but since I don't plan on working out masked, I've been a little hesitant to return to a group setting (especially with Omicron, though I know we don't have much information yet on whether it is vaccine-elusive). My county is also 50% vaccinated at best. I've reached out to the gym already to get an idea of how many people attend the classes, whether the space is well-ventilated, etc, but definitely want to hear about other's experiences here if applicable. Thanks in advance!
When gyms near me reopened, had to wear masks. It was hard to do with masks. One location of my gym has it studio upstairs from main workout floor, so it was easier to isolate myself there.

No masks now. I am still on WFH, alternate between going to gym and working out at home, depending on time constraints.

When gyms near me reopened, had to wear masks. It was hard to do with masks. One location of my gym has it studio upstairs from main workout floor, so it was easier to isolate myself there.

No masks now. I am still on WFH, alternate between going to gym and working out at home, depending on time constraints.
Yeah, I've been keeping masks on when indoors in a public area, but I knew I couldn't work out with masks. Before the vaccines, I'd put on a mask if I ran by someone, and it was so uncomfortable (and then it gets moist, so how effective is it gonna be then? Haha). I've been doing hot yoga and I think I would pass out if I did that with a mask on, lol.

I'm glad you've been able to continue going, especially WFH. Is that permanent for you?

Yeah, I've been keeping masks on when indoors in a public area, but I knew I couldn't work out with masks. Before the vaccines, I'd put on a mask if I ran by someone, and it was so uncomfortable (and then it gets moist, so how effective is it gonna be then? Haha). I've been doing hot yoga and I think I would pass out if I did that with a mask on, lol.

I'm glad you've been able to continue going, especially WFH. Is that permanent for you?
Return to office is slated for Jan 2022. Will do WFH two days, office 3 days. WFH has given me some flexibility to take family members to doctors and other things. My job designation allowed me to go in on as needed basis since start. Usually for site visits , precons, other field work, records research. Been going in about 1 - 2 days a week lately, management was mandated to go back 2 days a week in August.

If you have to wear masks at gym, there is a copper fit one that is pretty good, more breathable than surgical ones.

Nice - that flex schedule definitely sounds like the best of both worlds. I think I'd do a flex schedule too, but unfortunately live > hr from the closest office now, and not worth it.

Thanks for the rec!

If you have to wear masks at gym, there is a copper fit one that is pretty good, more breathable than surgical ones.
Right, good to hear.
There is a list of 'the best wearing masks for gym workout, still it is so individual.
You are radiating optimism! Keep the stamina.

1638816172386.png

It's been interesting working out outside lately. My hikes around here have been pretty icy! I get to go a lot slower than normal and get a good core workout at the same time from being so tense the entire time. Wheeeeeee!

I have been eating like **** at my parents. They only have red meat and carbs (like, popcorn and bread). I didn't realize how much my normal diet has changed until I come home and just...have to scrounge and eat what is there.

Went to my doctor while here for bloodwork update. Cholesterol went up, but not drastically (only like 5 more than last time), and my doctor kinda understood since I haven't been working out since mid-August. Parents also have bad cholesterol, so I'm predisposed to it. Starting in a week or two I'm going to get super serious about CICO and using the Peloton login from @tj_PE. Got to lose 20lbs so I can go to Vegas with them! MAY 2021 GOALS.

...also I cannot do a keto diet. My doctor got a deadly serious tone with that.

I have been eating like **** at my parents. They only have red meat and carbs (like, popcorn and bread). I didn't realize how much my normal diet has changed until I come home and just...have to scrounge and eat what is there.

Went to my doctor while here for bloodwork update. Cholesterol went up, but not drastically (only like 5 more than last time), and my doctor kinda understood since I haven't been working out since mid-August. Parents also have bad cholesterol, so I'm predisposed to it. Starting in a week or two I'm going to get super serious about CICO and using the Peloton login from @tj_PE. Got to lose 20lbs so I can go to Vegas with them! MAY 2021 GOALS.

...also I cannot do a keto diet. My doctor got a deadly serious tone with that.
What was his problem with the keto diet? Just curious. I've never tried the keto diet.

What was his problem with the keto diet? Just curious. I've never tried the keto diet.
Keto diet = mostly red meat = will raise my already high cholesterol = bad choice of diet specifically for me

My diet is going to be a lot more salmon/seafood and vegetables going forward and less processed stuff. I have a stash of chips/goldfish/pretzels/chocolate/cookies that I'm going to eat, but not replenish when I get home. Going to try and consistently keep at 1500cal/day to start. Have to find some volume snacking foods (or more veggies to have in the fridge, like cucumbers or peppers).

Back