NSPE Membership

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWJ PE

Reaction score
Thinking about joining... is it really worth it? $310/year seems pretty steep.

Thinking about joining... is it really worth it? $310/year seems pretty steep.
Depends.  Sometimes an employer will pay for technical committee memberships of this nature.  IMO, the local state chapters of NSPE (WI in my case) are of greater value for networking and maintaining professional development.

I join the local affiliates but never the full national memberships. Total waste of you or your companies money.

Can anyone site an example of anything useful that NSPE has done for us engineers?

These organizations exist to pay their full time "leaders" and staff. ASCE is just as bad....

Yeah I about crapped whenever I saw what the yearly rate was and then reviewed what the benefits were.

My company would pay for it; however, I don't think it's really worth it either.

Ya I can't think of any immediate value of a full-blown membership to NSPE.  The magazine has some interesting articles but still doesn't justify the high membership fees.

ASCE sends me membership requests ALL THE TIME!  I finally wrote a note and sent it back in their SAS envelope.  LOL

Ya I can't think of any immediate value of a full-blown membership to NSPE.  The magazine has some interesting articles but still doesn't justify the high membership fees.

ASCE sends me membership requests ALL THE TIME!  I finally wrote a note and sent it back in their SAS envelope.  LOL
I see ASCE membership requests about every 6 months. Actually, I just got one last week. And every time I get one I always say "wtf, surely they know I'm electrical."

I initially thought that too but then again how would they know? So finally I sent a note back indicating I was electrical. Haven't gotten anything since but it's still early, LOL.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I initially thought that too but then again how would they know? So finally I sent a note back indicating I was electrical. Haven't gotten anything since but it's still early, LOL.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I wonder who they are pimping their information from.... IEEE?

I've considered ASME membership, but never taken the plunge.  Just don't see much benefit to that one either.  Is that one any different?

ASCE is pretty big, and offers a lot of decently useful publications at a good discount, as well as CEUs.  

That said, I only belonged for a year and then stopped because the dues were too much, around $200 if I remember correctly. If my employer would pay, I would consider joining again.  There's just too many damned associations on top of multiple licenses/certifications to keep up, that I don't think it is worth it at all if you're paying out of your own pocket. 

I'm afraid I'm terribly ignorant when it comes to these professional societies.  What drives the dues so high?  Certainly, there will be a society chair that will pipe in and say "high?  That's a bargain!!".  Ok, so I get a discount on insurance, socks and maybe a t-shirt. $350 buys a lot of socks.

Latest posts

Back