Now that we passed, what's next?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mech engineer

Reaction score
Guys,

Many of us passed. I personally received my PE stamp today - looks nice and cute. :party-smiley-048: :winko:

What do you think should be the next step in the engineering career? Now that we are licensed, titled and everything, what in your opinion should come next? Concentrate on the professional improvement? Study more on design? Pursue financial success? Or find another challenge?

I miss a challenge, to be honest... I like the excitement of fighting for your ultimate goal and the sense of victory. :th_rockon: But I feel that my career is pretty much approaching its pique - and I do not really know how to deal with it.

Of course I am thinking a decent position with 100k+ or something would come quite handy. But on the other hand I still feel itchy for pure design, still want to build that dream machine - rather than wanting a well-paid supervisory position.

Maybe I am too romantic for an engineer? But I am an engineer largely because I am in love in the romanticism of this profession.

Well, I can't emotionally cope with my long-awaited victory at the moment, almost depressed. :wacko: :poop: What you guys think?

Guys,
Many of us passed. I personally received my PE stamp today - looks nice and cute. :party-smiley-048: :winko:

What do you think should be the next step in the engineering career? Now that we are licensed, titled and everything, what in your opinion should come next? Concentrate on the professional improvement? Study more on design? Pursue financial success? Or find another challenge?

I miss a challenge, to be honest... I like the excitement of fighting for your ultimate goal and the sense of victory. :th_rockon: But I feel that my career is pretty much approaching its pique - and I do not really know how to deal with it.

Of course I am thinking a decent position with 100k+ or something would come quite handy. But on the other hand I still feel itchy for pure design, still want to build that dream machine - rather than wanting a well-paid supervisory position.

Maybe I am too romantic for an engineer? But I am an engineer largely because I am in love in the romanticism of this profession.

Well, I can't emotionally cope with my long-awaited victory at the moment, almost depressed. :wacko: :poop: What you guys think?
Here’s some ideas-

Patents – Do you have some? My colleague was a chemist for 10 years and has several patents. Then he switched to EE and recently passed the PE.

Technical papers- Author some. I just got back from ASME Power and it’s surprising what can get published these days. You might even win a prize.

Get another degree – PhD, Masters, MBA, JD

Start a business – consulting or otherwise

Get another certification – if you like this, there are hundreds around.

Meet a physical, adventure, or other goal - learn to fly, climb a mountain, kayak a river, visit this or that country.

There are hundred of personal or professional goals to strive for. My main problem is deciding which one. The PE was a no-brainer since it meant an automatic raise for me.

Here’s some ideas-
Patents – Do you have some? My colleague was a chemist for 10 years and has several patents. Then he switched to EE and recently passed the PE.

Technical papers- Author some. I just got back from ASME Power and it’s surprising what can get published these days. You might even win a prize.

Get another degree – PhD, Masters, MBA, JD

Start a business – consulting or otherwise

Get another certification – if you like this, there are hundreds around.

Meet a physical, adventure, or other goal - learn to fly, climb a mountain, kayak a river, visit this or that country.

There are hundred of personal or professional goals to strive for. My main problem is deciding which one. The PE was a no-brainer since it meant an automatic raise for me.
Well, thank you. I was actually thinking of writing a paper on quality control of castings for a trade journal... I agree, sometimes what they publish these days is just not smart, I think I could do better than some other authors. Sounds like a good idea.

In terms of MBA - well, I would go for it only if my company picks the tab. It could happen in 1-1/2 years, if all goes well.

Right now I kind of set a goal to learn as much as possible on 3-D designer's packages for ME's. It looks quite nice on the resume if you know many of them.

Well, and I also slowly start working on a reciprocity license from a neigboring state - in case I do go into consulting at some point. Sent I couple of emails to get common ground with my potential references...

Thank you for you nice reply

Or you could take up an alter ego, and fly around town stopping crime.
There's no fear, Pantsless Wonder is here!
Gosh, I am too fat for that :) I better stick to my engineering field. My internal ego does not actually lead me far out of the engineering office :) In my post I only meant professional advancement and development.

If you can, start your own business. Nothing like having that control (and the massive hours, pressure, comments, etc.)

Wow, I guess maybe we have some striking similarities- maybe a case of attention deficit mumbo jumbo. I am working on getting my utility patent into production and out into the real world and hopefully make some money. Plus I am now beginning to concentrate on getting my private pilot license- after all, I went out and bought an airplane, I should at least learn how to fly the thing!

I have been sorely missing my garage since I bought my home out here in sunny Arizona and I was designing a rough layout for my new garage in CAD and it got bigger and bigger and now I think of it more as "The Lodge" instead of just a garage. Call it a garage plus an office plus an exercise room plus a separate room with a pool table plus a wet bar... I think I will have to scale it back when I start to price the thing out but hey, who knows. Maybe I can make it as insane as I want and just make it weathertight for now and finish it out as funds become available.

Regardless of anything else, now is definitely not the time to let life start get boring.

One last idea for the engineer seeking a new challenge- an electric vehicle. It seems that all the technology is out there but nobody has been able to get anything commercially viable off the ground. I don't know if it is a "conspiracy theory" involving the oil companies or maybe the batteries we hear about are still in R&D phase and not available to the public but I think that is a great opportunity for the right people.

Keep on keeping on... :bananalama:

I get to have the wonderful opportunity to take the PE: Civil exam. :(

I am probably going to take my surveyor-in-training test. Most likely in the Spring. I may as well get that one out of the way, and it can't be any harder than the PE.

Plus, PA has fewer and fewer surveyors. Last count I saw was there are currently less than 200 SITs in the state.

Brian

Yes it is.. Was tough but just use the clean edison material and it is a GREAT Resource to use to study.. Great to see more people getting the LEED certifications or at least starting to prepare for it. The site is great and even has private tutors and y ou can retake the 2nd time for FREE if you fail the first time.

Wow, I guess maybe we have some striking similarities- maybe a case of attention deficit mumbo jumbo. I am working on getting my utility patent into production and out into the real world and hopefully make some money. Plus I am now beginning to concentrate on getting my private pilot license- after all, I went out and bought an airplane, I should at least learn how to fly the thing!
I have been sorely missing my garage since I bought my home out here in sunny Arizona and I was designing a rough layout for my new garage in CAD and it got bigger and bigger and now I think of it more as "The Lodge" instead of just a garage. Call it a garage plus an office plus an exercise room plus a separate room with a pool table plus a wet bar... I think I will have to scale it back when I start to price the thing out but hey, who knows. Maybe I can make it as insane as I want and just make it weathertight for now and finish it out as funds become available.

Regardless of anything else, now is definitely not the time to let life start get boring.

One last idea for the engineer seeking a new challenge- an electric vehicle. It seems that all the technology is out there but nobody has been able to get anything commercially viable off the ground. I don't know if it is a "conspiracy theory" involving the oil companies or maybe the batteries we hear about are still in R&D phase and not available to the public but I think that is a great opportunity for the right people.

Keep on keeping on... :bananalama:

Back