No Debt (Ramsey) or Debt as a Tool

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was thinking about snicks comment. When I got the jeep home I found a pack of wraps under the front seat. Puts a whole new meaning to car dealer. (That was a bad joke but true story)

Snick turns into snack on my autocorrect... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ That's a full $125/month difference on a 60 month purchase.

And then there are guys like me who put several thousand dollars into aftermarket upgrades to cars that already don't need them...
I just had a spray-in bed liner applied to my new truck today. Next up is a retractable tonneau cover and a set of splash guards. I think that should be just about it until the tires are shot. Managed a cheap upgrade to newer model take-offs on the last one. I thought my old GMC looked pretty good sportin' Denali wheels.

And then there are guys like me who put several thousand dollars into aftermarket upgrades to cars that already don't need them...

Spoiler alert: That'll lose its appeal one day. I know you don't beleive me, because I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me that when I was your age.

HP never loses appeal. However, when trying to recoup the money spent on said HP when selling, the appeal of that cost to the buyer is lost.

The only debt we carry is home loan and one car loan. Usually I don't like having a car loan but needed a new car for the family and after looking around were able to get a 2012 model that was still new but had a tone of dealer incentives at what I think was a 1.9% rate. After our trade and everything even if we take the full 6 years to pay off the loan it comes out to something like 1500 so its not worth it to me to deplete savings so much to pay it off when compared to the small amount of interest over a 5 year period.

Like some others have said, if you can manage your money on your own and don't have spending problems you can use debt as a tool, but I do know some people who absolutely can't be trusted with a credit card or loans because they just spend away.

The only debt we carry is home loan and one car loan. Usually I don't like having a car loan but needed a new car for the family and after looking around were able to get a 2012 model that was still new but had a tone of dealer incentives at what I think was a 1.9% rate. After our trade and everything even if we take the full 6 years to pay off the loan it comes out to something like 1500 so its not worth it to me to deplete savings so much to pay it off when compared to the small amount of interest over a 5 year period.

Like some others have said, if you can manage your money on your own and don't have spending problems you can use debt as a tool, but I do know some people who absolutely can't be trusted with a credit card or loans because they just spend away.

You know my husband?!

I went the used car route for my first three cars - in 2000, 2002, and 2003. When I bought my 4th car in Dec 2003, we decided to buy new. Still driving it, and only rarely do I have issues (most of those due to mechanic screwups - one fried the computer with a firmware upgrade, one failed to do an alignment I paid for after installing new shocks, one installed an incompatible aftermarket part). I think it's been unusable for all of 2 weeks over the past decade.

HP never loses appeal.

I have to admit there's a certain perverse pleasure in driving a slow car quickly. You can wail on it like you stole it and not stand out in traffic.

A 1972 MGB, for example...top speed, 130 kph, downhill, with a tailwind. Cop would never believe the car could go that fast...

envirotex just went Canadian on us...130 kph indeed.

Driving less aggressively saves gas...and makes people angrier. I have all the makings of a road rage inducing hypermiler.

hypermiling_bumper_sticker_i-rf2865b4a8e514f81818ff1ca35659ebf_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg

HP never loses appeal.

I have to admit there's a certain perverse pleasure in driving a slow car quickly. You can wail on it like you stole it and not stand out in traffic.

A 1972 MGB, for example...top speed, 130 kph, downhill, with a tailwind. Cop would never believe the car could go that fast...

Most entertaining vehicle I ever had was my 89 Civic Si. 108hp and double wishbones all the way around. And, you could haul amazing amounts of stuff in it.

And, most importantly, it was black, and blended right in with traffic.

I was holding the pole position at a stop light two days ago when a newer Kia Optima pulled alongside me. As the two lanes merged to one (his lane ending) up ahead, he was steadily creeping up to that white line hoping to hit the green and get a head start to go around my little red putt putt car. He crept so long that his back tires were on the white line before he stopped (it was a long red light). I, on the other hand, took the approach of watching the right turn arrow of the crossing traffic go from green to yellow. At yellow I let off the brake and crept up. When our light turned green, I used that initial momentum and propelled my car forward, undoubtedly shocking the number two car. He ended up merging behind the lowly red sports car, bathing in shame. Another fight won for the underpowered, A-to-B turd mobiles.

I had a Camaro in college and my roommate had a VW Rabbit. We would sometimes drag race them between stop lights on the way to class. It always amused us that his little 4cyl would kick the muscle car's ass for the first 50 feet. We would wind up about even when it came time to slow down for the next light.

I was holding the pole position at a stop light two days ago when a newer Kia Optima pulled alongside me. As the two lanes merged to one (his lane ending) up ahead, he was steadily creeping up to that white line hoping to hit the green and get a head start to go around my little red putt putt car. He crept so long that his back tires were on the white line before he stopped (it was a long red light). I, on the other hand, took the approach of watching the right turn arrow of the crossing traffic go from green to yellow. At yellow I let off the brake and crept up. When our light turned green, I used that initial momentum and propelled my car forward, undoubtedly shocking the number two car. He ended up merging behind the lowly red sports car, bathing in shame. Another fight won for the underpowered, A-to-B turd mobiles.
Sounds more like a win for those that pay attention to intersection light patterns and small measuring tape vendors.

This article about Ramsey was published in this month's Money magazine. I think anyone following Ramsey's advice should read it:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/01/pf/dave-ramsey.moneymag/

Honestly, I knew very little about Ramsey before reading it. From what I'd heard of him it sounded like he had some decent advice. And I still agree that his advice on saving and getting out of debt sounds good. But it also sounds like he is an egotistical ass who is mainly interested in his brand and making money for himself, like many big-name radio personalities. Which is fine as long as you take what they have to say with a little skepticism.

The fact that he recommends buying front-end loaded funds just pisses me off, because these types of funds line the pockets of shady financial advisers, and at the same time it is so easy to invest in no-load funds yourself. They take advantage of Ma and Pa Main Street by taking 5% of every dollar invested for themselves, leaving a hole that's hard to make up. If Ramsey is really that good at talking to the average Joe about money, then he needs to go the next step and educate people not just about being responsible in saving, but also in investing. Really, if you're going to bring religion and morals into the picture (which I personally don't feel belong here, but whatever), isn't this the moral, responsible thing to do? Oh but wait, that wouldn't benefit the pocketbooks of his cronies (e.g. the Dave Ramsey ™ approved financial advisers).

In the end, I pretty much agree with what the article concludes--follow his advice on saving and getting out of debt, but forget his advice on investing.

Back