New Z28? (Again)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing has been on and off more times than I care to count. I think building it is a no brainer and the flacks at GM are toying with us.

Pontiac Phoenix aka Chevy Citation (aptly named)

some names don't need to come back from the proverbial ashes
but does it really matter if no one remembers the name from the 80's? nobody bought those things anyway. well no one except my FIL.

Last edited by a moderator:
but does it really matter if no one remembers the name from the 80's? nobody bought those things anyway. well no one except my FIL.
I don't know, MA. Those things sold pretty dang well back in the day. Tons of X-cars were running around when I was in college, and the Phoenix was especially popular down here for some odd reason.

I don't know, MA. Those things sold pretty dang well back in the day. Tons of X-cars were running around when I was in college, and the Phoenix was especially popular down here for some odd reason.
I recall lots of Citations around here but not too many Phoenixs. Did Buick have one too?

yeah, i'm a victim of my age. . .i knew lots of people who had citations (phoenix's not so much) - they were actually handy cars. . .not too gas-hoggy, hatchback utility, went thru winters pretty good. And remember the Citation X-11? oooooh, soo sporty! I think the x-car platform competed against the Taurus(?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall lots of Citations around here but not too many Phoenixs. Did Buick have one too?
Yeah, they did, but it was notchback only, no hatch. I knew someone that had a GS version. yeah, it was a stripe and wheels package, but it didn't look all that bad.

Hatchback X-cars were dang useful cars. The ancient ancestors of my Maxx.

a buddy of mine had a 4-door twotone Citation in college - the headliner was doing that 'canopy bed thing' where it sagged way down in the middle but was still intact along the roof edges. He lived / grew up on a farm, and pretty much drove it like a farm implement. It was a pretty sturdy car

^ There's a guy down the street with a Fiero parked outside. It looks like it was beamed right out of 1988 complete with that goofy aftermarket air scoop/snorkel sticking up over the back edge of the passenger compartment. That thing always reminded me of a periscope.

everything I've seen said that in '87 and '88 Pontiac got it right and the Fiero GT witht he V6 and handling pacakge was a nice little sportscar. However, the early dogs and then a couple of fires in the mid-engine cars had already banged too many nails in the coffin and it was not to be. Personally, I thought the snorkel scoop looked pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having one. Just like a Buick Reatta was a snazzy little car.

88 got a new front suspension, previously it used a 'vette (as in Chevette) front suspension.

I liked the Reatta after they got rid of that nasty CRT display. I worked with a guy who was a draftsman in GM's Buick labs. He said there were a few turbocharged and some supercharged Reatta's running around.

Back