New Movie Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw "Into the Wild" a couple of nights ago. I read the book back when it came out, and came away thinking that the kid was kind of an idiot. The movie kind of glamorizes him a little. But, even though it changed the overall impression I had of the guy, I liked what Sean Penn did with it. It's a good film and very thought proviking, with some overall uplifting sentiments in it. Even though he dies and it's really very sad, on the face of it (being a parent now has maybe changed the way I look at this story, too).
I, my wife, and my nine-year-old watched this movie last week based on by brother's recommendation. As you might imagine, it was tough for the little man to swallow. But after the tears dried he did confess to learning a very important lesson: call everything by its right name. He also felt bad about the kid not getting adopted by the "grandfather".

Me... I thought the movie was beyond strange and not terribly interesting or thought provoking. What did I miss?

I think most Jim Carey movies are pretty horrible and I can't stand him anymore, but my son loves Lemony Snicket and I think he's pretty good in that.

I redboxed and watched the first half of "The Kite Runner" last night. I remember reading about it when it came out, and it was somewhat highly acclaimed....

Anyhow it has a really disturbing scene, and the actions of the main character are pretty appalling following said scene - but so far it has done a decent job of keeping my interest.

We watched "21" this past weekend. I thought it was a decent movie. All the "dazzle" that you expect in such a flick. i am not sure how the real life story ended, but in the movie it was a happy ending. anyone seen this yet?

We watched "21" this past weekend. I thought it was a decent movie. All the "dazzle" that you expect in such a flick. i am not sure how the real life story ended, but in the movie it was a happy ending. anyone seen this yet?
The book is an easy read and highly recommended. Haven't seen the movie yet but I understand they took many cinematic liberties.

I just saw THE HAMMER starring Adam Carolla! Terrific movie, and a throwback to the great little indie comedies of the 90's. Funny, heartwarming, inspirational, etc. Can't recommend it enough. If it's playing in your city, go see it!

I was forced to watch "Awake" on DVD last night. And although I may have failed kevo's intelligence test, I felt insulted through the whole damn movie. What a preposterous piece of crap that was.

I redboxed and watched the first half of "The Kite Runner" last night. I remember reading about it when it came out, and it was somewhat highly acclaimed....
Anyhow it has a really disturbing scene, and the actions of the main character are pretty appalling following said scene - but so far it has done a decent job of keeping my interest.
I saw the whole thing last weekend. It was quite good. I thought it was better than "No country for Old Men."

I also saw "30 days of Night." Don't bother renting it unless you want to cheap Redbox flick. Even then, get wasted before you watch it.

I found the latest Rocky movie "Rocky Balboa" from (2006) in the $10 rack. I hadn't seen and as I have the full collection on DVD I bought it. It wasn't as bad as I wexpected it to be. Certainly, better than Rocky 5 with Tommy Gunn, but it was no Rocky 3 (my personal favortite with Mr. T as Clubber Lang). If you like the Rocky movies and feel like sitting through another one then this one is palatable. I won't say any of the details, in case there are any others who might want to check it out but never got around to it.

This weekend myself, Mrs. MA and some friends went to see the new imax movie of the Rolling Stones at the Beacon Theater titled "Shine a Light". It was directed by Martin Scorsese. It was recorded during the Bigger Bang tour in 2006. The Beacon holds ~2500 people. Fundamentally, another Stones concert video on a huge screen. There are some flashbacks to old footage/interviews.

If you like the Stones, I'd say go to see it, but I wouldn't expect it to win any awards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and the wife saw Vantage Point at the theater over the weekend. It was pretty good :thumbs:

Forrest Whitaker does an amazing job. By the time they run through the eigth vantage point you start thinking it's groundhog day, but then they tie the pieces toghether really well.

I read the Kite Runner and thought the book was very good however the "disturbing scene" (which Im assuming is the same as in the book) completely robbed my desire of seeing the movie. That scene was hard to read through, I dont know if I would want to watch it on the big or small screen.

Ive decided that Im going to cancel my NetFlix account. In the past 7 months, Ive gotten 3 movies from NetFlix. I just dont watch enough to make it worth it. I will however be checking out the Redbox they just put in down the street from my house.

Im really surprised at how much traffic those get. My only complaint is that most of the RedBox stands are now situated at the front of the drive through line (Im sure its just a coincidence though). People dont like it when you slow down their food ordering for you to get your movie.

I figured those Redbox's would be hobo outhouse's in no time but Ive seen lots of people hitting those things. Does anyone know how they work? Do you have to create an account or do you drop a few bucks in to pay for the movie? Swipe a credit card?

I figured those Redbox's would be hobo outhouse's in no time but Ive seen lots of people hitting those things. Does anyone know how they work? Do you have to create an account or do you drop a few bucks in to pay for the movie? Swipe a credit card?
it's $1 a day - if you keep it for a certain amount of time its yours.

The way to do it is to create an online account to do your renting. when you go to pick it up, you swipe your card and it spits it out. you can drop it off at ANY redbox.

works great.

^^ If you don't watch an insane amount of movies, Redbox is the way to go. :thumbs:

I never had a problem using them. I think they've been around for a year or so in the Twin Cities.

I found the latest Rocky movie "Rocky Balboa" from (2006) in the $10 rack. I hadn't seen and as I have the full collection on DVD I bought it. It wasn't as bad as I wexpected it to be.
I saw it on a plane, I was satisfied.

I really wanted to see The Mist but the Redbox near me didnt have it. Theres one redbox at the gas station and one right next door at the McDonalds. The one at the McD's had an actual line of 5 people or so waiting to use it. Im definately going to use the Redbox, I think I will get much more use out of it then Netflix.

I really wanted to see The Mist but the Redbox near me didnt have it. Theres one redbox at the gas station and one right next door at the McDonalds. The one at the McD's had an actual line of 5 people or so waiting to use it. Im definately going to use the Redbox, I think I will get much more use out of it then Netflix.
You can reserve movies online with a credit card :thumbs:

Back