Nerds survive unemployment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recent project descriptions could fall under three of the top ten engineering fields.

Would these be nerd or geek jobs? Not that it really matters for me anyway; I have a pair of glasses held together with a staple...

ngnrd - PE said:
^^^ Electrical Engineering is #17.
Everybody knows that EE isn't real engineering... That's probably why MS didn't count it.

Or, it could be that ME's aren't very good at reading... :ph34r: Yeah, that's probably it.
Ya know, I was going to say something to the effect of EE not really being an engineering discipline, but that's like proclaiming that blue is a primary color. And ngnrd has a point... I really don't know how I made it past 2nd grade.

"My parents didn't suggest anything to me, but I'm glad I switched to civil engineering. It seems to have paid off, for sure."

http://www.studentsreview.com/unemployment_by_major.php3

Civil Engineering Unemployment: 13.3%

Mechanical Engineering Unemployment: 6.3%

and then...

History Majors Unemployment: 4.9%

Maybe as a minority or female there are government jobs available. But there is no whitewashing the disaster of picking civil engineering as a major... Just ask the kids getting out of school. It is the *worst* major this side of architecture - which is downright pitiful.

maybe it just means that the nerds in question that couldn't find a job in their own field were able to find some kind of employment elsewhere and not report as "unemployed". I don't know about you-all, but where I live the quality of employees at Walmart and the grocery has definitely gone up. It seems like a lot of them have college degrees...
That is called under-employeed in the world of Economics. Anyone who is doing tasks other than what they could get maximum pay for is under-employeed. I have been in that boat even in an engineering position for a while now.

Back