Nerds survive unemployment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
From Yahoo today:

Majors and their unemployment rate:1. Actuarial Science—0 percent

2. Astronomy and Astrophysics—0 percent

3. Educational Administration and Supervision—0 percent

4. Geological and Geophysical Engineering—0 percent

5. Pharmacology—0 percent

6. School Student Counseling—0 percent

7. Agricultural Economics—1.3 percent

8. Medical Technologies Technicians—1.4 percent

9.Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology—1.6 percent

10. Environmental Engineering, Nursing, and Nuclear Industrial Radiology and Biological Technologies—2.2 percent
Looks like it pays to learn math and science, or to stay in school and then work at school.

Hmmm, makes you wonder what the unemployment rates are for Music Appreciation, Art History, Philosophy, etc...

maybe it just means that the nerds in question that couldn't find a job in their own field were able to find some kind of employment elsewhere and not report as "unemployed". I don't know about you-all, but where I live the quality of employees at Walmart and the grocery has definitely gone up. It seems like a lot of them have college degrees...

Hmmm, makes you wonder what the unemployment rates are for Music Appreciation, Art History, Philosophy, etc...
I knew a woman my wife was friends with in grad school getting a master's in 'women's peace studies' from an Ivy League school. Just brilliant.

Re: csb - I am licensed in environmental. I've said this before, but when looking at majors in the engineering school, my mom suggested that one, reasoning that things will just get more polluted and regulations will just get tighter. Made sense to me at the time. Though I'm really more of a civil with an environmental slant at this point.

My parents didn't suggest anything to me, but I'm glad I switched to civil engineering. It seems to have paid off, for sure.

My parents didn't suggest anything to me, but I'm glad I switched to civil engineering. It seems to have paid off, for sure.
Me too. I was leaning towards pre-med for my undergrad, but quickly realized that organic chemistry is my nemisis. Luckily I had taken a couple electives from the Civil dept at the same time and decided after getting a 35% on my O-Chem final that I would be transferring to civil.

Here's the full listing-

http://graphicsweb.w.../NILF1111/#term=

You can get a better idea of what it means and where the people are employed by looking at the salaries. It certainly doesn't look like all the nerds are asking if you want fries with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
after getting a 35% on my O-Chem final
I think that was a B+ where I went to school
The OChem professor was also the Chemical Engineering department head and told us on the first day of class that the department had too many students and they would be using this class to "weed out" those who weren't serious. I think he said they wanted to drop ~40% of those in the class by the end of the semester.

Our first semester adv chem class was like that. First day the famous Zumdalh spoke and said this is a weedout course. Zumdalh, if you don't know him, writes the chemistry textbooks for probably most of your high school students....and college too.

its how he pays for his car musuem in his garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Among the engineering degrees, mechanical is the most popular (23%). w00t!

It's just one tick above "general engineering". :blink:

"Miscellaneous Fine Arts"

I can't even begin to wonder what the means, since Liberal Arts is listed by itself. I'm also concerned that "Geology and Earth Science" are under their "art" tab. I did have to color a lot of strata in Geology classes...

I'm told 'fine arts' is actually creating or doing something i.e. pottery, paint, dance.

'Arts' are math, philosophy etc.

Geology should be a science since you use the scientific method to make hypotheses and can disprove theories.

heck my chemical engineering degree was from the liberal arts college section of the university. Geology, chemistry, and all the other sciences were as well.

Back