Need a good economics book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusionWhite

Epee ~)----- Fencer
Reaction score
Im starting to plan ahead for the PE (yes its years off and I havent even gotten my FE score back yet) and one of the biggest weakness's I had on the FE was economics. I had an engineering economics course (2 semesters of it actually) but my teacher was so terrible I learned nothing. So of course I struggled mightily on the FE on anything but the easiest of interest problems.

So anyone know of a good economics reference that I can teach myself the economics portion of what is covered on say the Chemical PE (Time value of money, equipment costs etc) which I can hang on to for a few years? I figure even if I failed the FE I could use it to study and do better at economics when I retake the FE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word of advice. No offense intended, but dude, RELAX for at least a week.

Just a word of advice. No offense intended, but dude, RELAX for at least a week.
Haha, now that I look at it that post was a little high strung. The more I think about the test though the more confident Im getting about it. Ok, going into relax mode.

The MERM covered Econ way more in depth than was needed for the PE exam. Most Econ problems on the PE (from what I've heard and experienced) are basic.

I took the Envl exam, and most of the economics was something like:

Figure out how much lime needs to be added. If lime comes at this purity and costs $XX/100 lb bag, how much will you spend on lime in a year.

There were one or two questions on financing stuff,which I winged.

dont miss easy points on the econ sections, I know some friends who refuse to work them, but they are really simple.

If I was doing this PE thing over again, even if I had 4 years to wait, I would get a CERM,MERM,EERM (whatever) even an older edition that would be cheaper and occasionaly work some problems over my 4 years (yeah right who am I kidding)

Most have the econ sections, go to the econ tables in the back and above each of the F/P A/F P/F sections,,, write in Given F find P over the appropriate section, makes it easy during the exam.

I would think if you work the section on econ you should be okay. We had to take an entire class in econ (but I was under the quarter system) I think some schools combine it with the scheduling project management class these days.

or get an MBA while you wait on your PE time and work hundreds of finance questions...

Well the Econ stuff on the PE wasn't really too tough when I took it. Any of the reference manuals mentioned should cover what you need.

But for a book on the topic, I would recommend "Economic Evaluation and Investment Decision Methods" by Stermole & Stermole.

You might be right to get right back on that horse, and start hitting it hard NOW....don't let that study mentality fade any......

just kidding...

I think most of what you'll need economics wise you'll find in the Lindeburg book. Every interest chart you can think of is there, just pick the right factor, and add them up. :borg

I think most of what you'll need economics wise you'll find in the Lindeburg book. Every interest chart you can think of is there, just pick the right factor, and add them up. :borg
Agreed

Yeah, you have plenty of time yet.

I tried my best to stay away from the "the other board" *ERM book this time around.

The economics book I have is a 176 page paperback book, which helped me a lot. There are 3 authors of this book, and one was my teacher in college a long time ago (this is a newer book).

The book has a topic, then sample problems with boxes for answers to reinforce the approach of the topic (reminds me of those pre-algebra books where it drilled the topic home)

It was an excellent reference book for me anyways .....

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Economic...ie=UTF8&s=books

Back