NEC questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techie_Junkie_PE_LEED_AP

PE, LEED AP, Ponderer of the abstract
Reaction score
The NEC can be confusing, especially if you don't use it regularly. There are usually around +/- 5 NEC questions and you'll have a few more for Power than if you took ECC or Computer Depths.

The NEC is like an art within itself and you can't really "study" it, you just have to know how to find information in it, and it's tricky. There are fine print notes (FPN), exceptions and cross-references. You just need to know how its laid out and how to find info fast, just like using your other PE reference books.

You should have the NEC Codebook for the Electrical exam. The NEC Handbook (hardcover) is better if you can borrow one, it's expensive but it has color pictures, the Codebook has no pictures, all text.

Mike Holt's company has a guidebook to understanding the NEC which would benefit anybody, but especially if you don't use the NEC regularly. You can look at sample pages on his website.

Here's a link to mike Holts website: http://www.mikeholt.com/bookcategory.php?t...p;from=Products

I think all you would need is the Volume I Book which covers NEC Articles 90-450, it's $59. I don't think you'd need the Volume I Workbook though.

There may be other good ones, but this is the best I've seen.

Every little bot helps, it just boils down to how bad you think you need to get those +/- 5 questions right to pass and how much they're worth.

Good Luck!

I also took a copy of Ugly's electrical references along with my NEC handbook. That turned out to be a good move from a "speed of test" standpoint.

I have NEC problems for practice. I posted the problems here once and I think there is still a thread with them on it.

If you want the problems but cannot find them shoot me a PM.

edited: The last sentence was horrible. Looked like a second grader wrote it. :Locolaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked for the thread but did not find but here you go mate.

Let me know if that helps.

Update: After my post I suddenly used my brain and found the thread. It was on a thread about NEC level of difficulty. I deleted that attachement to avoid duplicity.

I looked for the thread but did not find but here you go mate.

Let me know if that helps.

Update: After my post I suddenly used my brain and found the thread. It was on a thread about NEC level of difficulty. I deleted that attachement to avoid duplicity.
Thanks for re-posting the link. Actually, now that I see it, I have already downloaded and printed that handout. I found it on these boards when I first joined. Still and excellent resource that needed a bump though.

The morning exam specs don't refer to the NEC.

It is only specifically referred to in the afternoon power exam specs.

I am trying to determine how to budget my study time.

I plan to take the afternoon computer test.

The NEC material is much less intense than something like Bode plots. Therefore, I would like to spend some study time on the NEC, but only if I am likely to see three or more NEC questions on morning breadth/afternoon computers.

How many NEC questions, if any, am I likely to see on morning breadth/afternoon computers?

The morning exam specs don't refer to the NEC.It is only specifically referred to in the afternoon power exam specs.

I am trying to determine how to budget my study time.

I plan to take the afternoon computer test.

The NEC material is much less intense than something like Bode plots. Therefore, I would like to spend some study time on the NEC, but only if I am likely to see three or more NEC questions on morning breadth/afternoon computers.

How many NEC questions, if any, am I likely to see on morning breadth/afternoon computers?
THe specs say that the list is not exhaustive, so there could be some on there.

I took the ECC afternoon module. I brought the NEC along, and I think I stuck a couple tabs in it. Also, I spent a little time looking through it, but not a lot. At least from my point of view, that book is hard to find things in. If you don't use it a lot, or practice a lot with it, you are sort of relying on luck. THat's why I didn't take power. But I think it is worth a little time, just to get the idea of the structure of the book and the topics.

I can tell you that the very best representation of the NCEES exam is the NCEES "Electrical and Computer Engineering Sample Questions and Answers." Look at tha to get an idea.

I'm working through the Kaplan Sample Exam, and there were 5 or 6 questions about the NEC on it. I was wondering the same thing you were (about NEC questions being on the morning exam) until I saw that. I'm interested to see if there are any NECs on the NCEES practice exam...but I'm trying to save that for a "real world" practice for the exam (dress rehearsal, dry run, etc.).

I'm working through the Kaplan Sample Exam, and there were 5 or 6 questions about the NEC on it. I was wondering the same thing you were (about NEC questions being on the morning exam) until I saw that. I'm interested to see if there are any NECs on the NCEES practice exam...but I'm trying to save that for a "real world" practice for the exam (dress rehearsal, dry run, etc.).
The Kaplan exam is significantly more difficult than the NCEES exam, although it covers the same general topic areas.

I don't think there is any problem telling you there are two code type questions on the NCEES sample exam, but I'm not sure you specifically need the NEC. I didn't see it referenced in the answers.

The Kaplan exam is significantly more difficult than the NCEES exam, although it covers the same general topic areas.I don't think there is any problem telling you there are two code type questions on the NCEES sample exam, but I'm not sure you specifically need the NEC. I didn't see it referenced in the answers.
That's odd. How can you have questions about a code without referencing said code?

Is the Kaplan Exam harder than the real exam? The freaking practice problems are harder than Chinese arithmetic, but the Exam problems are significantly easier. If these are easier than the actual exam, then I would feel a little better about how much I don't know. One glaring difference is that the Kaplan problems build on each other sometimes, so if you miss one, you have an incorrect input for the next. I know the real exam isn't like that which makes me happy.

That's odd. How can you have questions about a code without referencing said code?
Is the Kaplan Exam harder than the real exam? The freaking practice problems are harder than Chinese arithmetic, but the Exam problems are significantly easier. If these are easier than the actual exam, then I would feel a little better about how much I don't know. One glaring difference is that the Kaplan problems build on each other sometimes, so if you miss one, you have an incorrect input for the next. I know the real exam isn't like that which makes me happy.
If you think the Kaplan sample exam problems are fairly easy, you will find the NCEES sample problems ridiculously easy. And you're right, they don't build on each other.

It's possible that I am just calling them "code" questions. It is hard to explain since you probably don't want to know the exact question, but they are along the lines of "To properly protect against electrical shock in such and such a circuit, the such and such line should be connected where?"

And then they give four choices. This may just be common knowlege, but it is the closest thing to a code question there is on that exam.

Also, since I believe the specs call out which version of the NEC the test is based on, they may just expect you to assume any code questions come out of there. Although the power afternoon questions do reference the code a lot in the answers.

I can't tell you whether to just forget about it, thats your call.

Just a reminder: The NEC questions can, and will, touch motors too. For the tests I took NEC was one the references I used the most.

Just a reminder: The NEC questions can, and will, touch motors too. For the tests I took NEC was one the references I used the most.
Hi BIO. The fellow I was answering is taking the computer depth. He wants to know how much NEC in the AM. We should tell him you took Power PM.

Hi BIO. The fellow I was answering is taking the computer depth. He wants to know how much NEC in the AM. We should tell him you took Power PM.
Ah...Sorry about that mate. I did not read the thread carefully but you are right. I fumbled that one. Thought I was helping the fellow EE.

Benbo is right. NEC touches motors on the afternoon part of the Power module. For the morning the questions are rather simple. Just a matter to know what tables or articles apply. With the practice problems of the NCEES Sample Test you should be more than ready.

Thanks Benbo.

If you think the Kaplan sample exam problems are fairly easy, you will find the NCEES sample problems ridiculously easy. And you're right, they don't build on each other.
It's possible that I am just calling them "code" questions. It is hard to explain since you probably don't want to know the exact question, but they are along the lines of "To properly protect against electrical shock in such and such a circuit, the such and such line should be connected where?"

And then they give four choices. This may just be common knowlege, but it is the closest thing to a code question there is on that exam.

Also, since I believe the specs call out which version of the NEC the test is based on, they may just expect you to assume any code questions come out of there. Although the power afternoon questions do reference the code a lot in the answers.

I can't tell you whether to just forget about it, thats your call.
Good to know. I was feeling pretty dumb.

I don't really care if you tell me the problems. I've looked at the NCEES book just to get a feel for the format, so it's not like I'm trying to keep it sealed until I want to take the test. But then again, I'm not all that concerned about the NEC questions. Aside from the format of the Code being really non-user friendly, I can typically find the info I need within the 6 minute window. I only missed one of the Kaplan NEC questions and that is because I applied the code for grounding conductors to the neutral of the 4-wire WYE supply (oops).

Maybe I have a different idea of what a code question on the exam is, but as I recall from the NCEES practice test, certain questions explicitly state something like "according to the 2005 National Electric Code . . . " and these questions only appear in the Power depth module.

According to the exam specs on the NCEES website, the NEC is only specifically covered on the power depth, so I wouldn't worry about it much for the morning and Computer afternoon. However, general knowledge of the NEC can't hurt, especially for the morning questions along the lines that benbo mentioned.

Maybe I have a different idea of what a code question on the exam is, but as I recall from the NCEES practice test, certain questions explicitly state something like "according to the 2005 National Electric Code . . . " and these questions only appear in the Power depth module.
According to the exam specs on the NCEES website, the NEC is only specifically covered on the power depth, so I wouldn't worry about it much for the morning and Computer afternoon. However, general knowledge of the NEC can't hurt, especially for the morning questions along the lines that benbo mentioned.

Where in the world did this rumor start about NEC only in the afternoon?

NEC type questions have an equal oppertunity in both the morning and afternoon.

I thought there were NEC questions on the morning section as well. When I saw those comments, I thought the Fog of War clouded my memory!

Yes, I would say there are NEC questions on the AM portion, simpler look-up type questions. The PM questions would proably be the tricker Table look-up, cross-reference type with the fine print exceptions below the Table that everyone usually misses.

Back