NCEES Records Program

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^IlPadrino,

I have only sent in one reference update form each time I have renewed. I basically just give it to my boss, he fills it out, and then it is sent out.

I have never went to my other references or old employers for my NCEES record renewal.

^^IlPadrino,
I have only sent in one reference update form each time I have renewed. I basically just give it to my boss, he fills it out, and then it is sent out.

I have never went to my other references or old employers for my NCEES record renewal.
Seems reasonable... bottom line is I don't want to have to bother other references or old employers to keep my record active. I wonder what happens if I choose to let the Record lapse and go the "Reinstating and reactivating an inactive Record is $25 per year of inactivity, not to exceed $125" route. Could I forgo the reference updates in that manner? I guess I need to make another call...

^^ Hmm, good question. I assume that if you let the record lapse that all bets are off.

^^ Hmm, good question. I assume that if you let the record lapse that all bets are off.
I keep answering my one questions, but it's amazing what you can learn when you pick up the phone!

Your record can remain inactive for as long as you want... so say it's been 15 years since you updated. Pay $125, submit FIVE references, and do as many employment verifications as needed since your last update.

All considered, it's probably easiest to keep the record updated every year. To get one reference should be *VERY* easy, especially as they don't have to have knowledge of your work.

After reading this informative long thread regarding NCEES Model Law Engineer's process to maintain a record for Comity applications, I'd like to congratulate IlPadrino for his unrelenting effort to get to the bottom of it....*****! he was even answering his own questions!

Thanks IlPadrino, this will be a useful thread to many other new PEs for years to come! :thumbs:

Kudos for kevo_55 and wilheldp_PE for their advice and clarifications! :D

Setting up my NCEES record now, can someone explain the whole Model Law thing to me? I have seen the summary on the NCEES Record site and I think I qualify.

Setting up my NCEES record now, can someone explain the whole Model Law thing to me? I have seen the summary on the NCEES Record site and I think I qualify.
That must be specific to CE's. I didn't encounter that when I set up my record (electrical).

I set my record up in 2011.

I just logged in to check my record and there is a section to "apply online" for model law structural engineering. That's probably why I didn't acknowledge it before as it seems to only pertain to structurals. The info on NCEES though seems a bit misleading in that it insinuates pertaining to PE's in general.

Hmm I see, maybe it is an option after my Record is approved. Thanks for checking that, I will worry about getting everything in for my Record first.

I just logged in to check my record and there is a section to "apply online" for model law structural engineering. That's probably why I didn't acknowledge it before as it seems to only pertain to structurals. The info on NCEES though seems a bit misleading in that it insinuates pertaining to PE's in general.
No. Model Law Structural engineer is a separate designation specifically for structural engineers. Model Law Engineer can be designated for any other engineering discipline.

No. Model Law Structural engineer is a separate designation specifically for structural engineers. Model Law Engineer can be designated for any other engineering discipline.
Thanks for the clarification. Out of curiosity though, why on my record do I only see the structural designation and not the other model law engineer designation? How would I then apply for model law engineer?

Thanks for the clarification. Out of curiosity though, why on my record do I only see the structural designation and not the other model law engineer designation? How would I then apply for model law engineer?
that would be a question for ncees. On their website linked above, it says (underline is mine):

When you apply for a record, NCEES staff will review your file to determine whether it meets the Model Law criteria. You do not have to request this. If you qualify, your record will indicate that you are a Model Law Engineer/Surveyor.
so it looks like they tell you if you're model law engineer. If you think you should be and aren't shown as one, I'd contact them and ask. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the input! still working on getting everything into them. I love how I have to send NCEES money and forms to verify that I passed the PE and EIT through NCEES.... and that is what is taking the longest right now..... I feel like I am waiting for my PE results all over again haha

Back