NCEES Pass Rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pass rate for Mechanical PE:

First timers: 63%

repeat takers: 28%

I hope to be part of the 28%.

PR (Puerto Rico) still waiting.

Does anyone know why the % of first time takers would be higher than the % of repeat offenders? I would have imagined that the % of first timers who pass would be lower than the % of repeaters.

Does anyone know why the % of first time takers would be higher than the % of repeat offenders? I would have imagined that the % of first timers who pass would be lower than the % of repeaters.

There is a thread somewhere around here that theorizes on this quite eloquently. I forget the specifics, but if I recall the theory was along the lines of most of those who fail it once will fail it again, with only a small percentage of those being able to accomplish it with additional studying (on a test by test basis). Of course, with multiple chances to take the test I think the math works out that most will eventually pass. Assuming everyone could take it 4 times total, a pass rate of 33% for repeat takers would suggest this is possible.

Probably due to the denominator...if i had to guess.

Probably due to the denominator...if i had to guess.

^^^There's a good topic on this subject around here. I couldn't do that topic justice by trying to explain it.

I am surprised that the Civil exam is a little low but even more surprised that the SEII exam isn't even out yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^There's a good topic on this subject around here. I couldn't do that topic justice by trying to explain it.

I am surprised that the Civil exam is a little low but even more surprised that the SEII exam isn't even out yet.
Yeah, it's a little weird, In april there was no dealy results were the same as the PE. Although one can make the arguement it's an essay, takes longer to grade, blah, blah blah. Months are Months. It seems like NCEES did not have their game together since there are three sets of tests that are still pending. Are there really a ton of PE Petroleum and PE Nuclear engineers out there?

Man! Why are the pass rates for civil always so low? Unfortunately, I have had opportunity to look at these on SEVERAL occaisions. I think I am going to switch to Environmental. Does anyone think that is nuts? (I am still waiting on results, but I am not expecting a miracle). :brickwall:

Actually I was considering Water Resources after advice from our instructor from my review course. His direct quote was if you don't pass in structural, transportation or geo you should take the water resources. And this was coming from a principal in a Water Resources Consulting firm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back