NCEES Experience Dispute

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John QPE

Straight Outta Compton
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a past employer dispute experience submitted on an NCEES record?

Long story short, I have a guy saying he doesn't like the way some of my stuff is worded and he is sending in corrections.

Any idea how this is handled?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a touchy subject where they're technically correct but so am I. 

Im still in shock about this. 

You can edit it after you sent it, but it starts the review for that item again.  I had to send two of my "previous experiences" to multiple sources trying to get someone to verify it.  I gave up and self reported it, but I had enough experience in my current job so I didn't really need it. 

It won't let me edit it. That's the problem. They must have changed it at some point. Once you send to supervisor, it's locked. 

Wow. Are they that much of a control freak to hijack your records? Hope it all works out in the end.

iu

So the time shows up in the NCEES Record as complete, with 0 years and 0% in Engineering.....I think I just got royally screwed out of 4 years.

So the time shows up in the NCEES Record as complete, with 0 years and 0% in Engineering.....I think I just got royally screwed out of 4 years.
The more feedback I hear about the NCEES Records, the more I'm glad that they simply let my record lapse without even telling me. Good riddance I suppose. :(

Now I can edit this, and resend. Let me see how this works out. 

The more feedback I hear about the NCEES Records, the more I'm glad that they simply let my record lapse without even telling me. Good riddance I suppose. :(
It wouldn't have mattered if it lapsed or not, you would've had to start over either way.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:33 AM, knight1fox3 said: The more feedback I hear about the NCEES Records, the more I'm glad that they simply let my record lapse without even telling me. Good riddance I suppose. [emoji20]
It wouldn't have mattered if it lapsed or not, you would've had to start over either way.
Indeed. Which is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever had a past employer dispute experience submitted on an NCEES record?

Long story short, I have a guy saying he doesn't like the way some of my stuff is worded and he is sending in corrections.

Any idea how this is handled?
This sucks for sure.  Whoever is doing this must be a real a**hole!  I used to have some like that in my previous jobs, but I stayed away from them.  I never bothered asking them to be my references or anything.  If you don't mind my asking, what added benefits does NCEES record provide?  I just checked mine and I don't have one.  It says I have to apply to get one.  

If you don't mind my asking, what added benefits does NCEES record provide?  I just checked mine and I don't have one.  It says I have to apply to get one.  
An NCEES record is a good thing to have if one plans to be licensed in multiple state jurisdictions (like @Ken PE 3.1). Essentially it is a duplicate of what you submitted during your application to sit for the PE exam. Only (2) additional PE references are required for a total of (5). Then when you want to apply for licensure in another state, you ask NCEES to submit said record (for a small fee) to the corresponding licensing board and then they will have just about all the info required to process the application (save for some states that require an application document). But ultimately this saves a great deal of time in having to collect references, transcripts, work experience, etc. each time one needs to apply to a different state. With an NCEES record, all that information is maintained and stored in a single file.

HOWEVER, that being said, I'm a little bitter with the "new & improved" NCEES Record system. NCEES basically revamped the entire system a year ago or so. For us veteran record holders (who paid an annual maintenance fee, which is now waived), our records essentially lapsed without clear and concise direction from NCEES. Some discovered this only when they went to actually have their record SUBMITTED. Others (like me), were given no prior indication of this course of action. And we would be forced to basically re-submit our entire record with new references, work history, etc. I considered this to be pretty terrible customer service so I haven't re-visited my record in probably 12 months or more. But back when my record was active, it was certainly a notable thing to have when I was interviewing with various consultant employment opportunities.

@knight1fox3:   :thankyou:  for your explanation.  It makes a lot of sense and good information for a Newbie such as myself.  I would have the same feeling about the NCEES if I were you.  Generally, these agencies don't have a lot of considerations for people that need to rely on them.  It's mostly "you need us, but we don't need you" attitude on their part.  When it comes to important things such as this record, the NCEES should have implemented a good system to make sure its members are notified multiple times when their records are being affected by any sort of changes.  It's such a bummer that this happened.  Hopefully, all you veteran record holders don't have to go through a lot to get back on track.  Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
22 minutes ago, OldenEngineer said: If you don't mind my asking, what added benefits does NCEES record provide?  I just checked mine and I don't have one.  It says I have to apply to get one.  
An NCEES record is a good thing to have if one plans to be licensed in multiple state jurisdictions (like @Ken PE 3.1). Essentially it is a duplicate of what you submitted during your application to sit for the PE exam. Only (2) additional PE references are required for a total of (5). Then when you want to apply for licensure in another state, you ask NCEES to submit said record (for a small fee) to the corresponding licensing board and then they will have just about all the info required to process the application (save for some states that require an application document). But ultimately this saves a great deal of time in having to collect references, transcripts, work experience, etc. each time one needs to apply to a different state. With an NCEES record, all that information is maintained and stored in a single file.
HOWEVER, that being said, I'm a little bitter with the "new & improved" NCEES Record system. NCEES basically revamped the entire system a year ago or so. For us veteran record holders (who paid an annual maintenance fee, which is now waived), our records essentially lapsed without clear and concise direction from NCEES. Some discovered this only when they went to actually have their record SUBMITTED. Others (like me), were given no prior indication of this course of action. And we would be forced to basically re-submit our entire record with new references, work history, etc. I considered this to be pretty terrible customer service so I haven't re-visited my record in probably 12 months or more. But back when my record was active, it was certainly a notable thing to have when I was interviewing with various consultant employment opportunities.

Are you trying to imply 12 states is too much?

BTW, some states will only accept the NCEES record. At least they file 13'd the yearly maintenance fee.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I got my record before the change over. I believe I just had to update my employer and references. I thing my transcripts carried over. Don't recall having to deal with my college.

I just went through this process, and while it was a bit annoying they did carry over most of my info.  I had to update my employment just for the time between when I originally got the record and now, license verification from my state since the original I sent in showed an expiration (I renewed but they wanted current), and some updated references.  They carried over all my old references but wanted at least 3 to be within the last 12 months.  This is likely due to some state requirements.

It took me less than a week to get it updated which wasn't that bad, but I agree that they could have done a much better job of notifying existing record holders of the changes and what we would be expected to do.  I do like the elimination of the maintenance fee, and the system is much more functional than the old one, which I would have put about on par with 1998 GeoCities so a pretty low bar.

My main beef with it is it stops you from seeing everything wrong with your application. For example, I just went to transmit mine, it said I had one error that my experience needed to be updated to today's date. So that has to go to a manager in your company to reverify, then it has to be processed by NCEES, took about a week. Then it said I had one error, they didn't have confirmation of my Illinois license from the state board. So I requested that through the electronic system. Then with Illinois you have to mail a written signed letter requesting them to go into the NCEES' system to click verify, you also have to include a $20 check for this service, that took about 2 weeks. By then a new calendar month rolled around and I had to get my experience confirmed by manager again and reconfirmed by NCEES, so another week. By that point, I had graduated with a non technical Master's degree, so they then needed to get a transcript, that took another few weeks. All-told I could've worked all those things in parallel, but the system just stops checking for additional required information/updates after it finds one. Then you have to wait until that is resolved to find the next one.

The system is pretty awful. I will say if you e-mail [email protected], they can speed up some of the stuff on their end, but other than that NCEES has been apathetic to the situation with the new records system.

Someone above mentioned it is poor customer service. You are not the customer, the state boards are, you are just funding the operation. Just keep that in mind, they're main objectives for service seem to be (in this order): A) Themselves, B) The state boards, C) licensees, D) applicants/other

Latest posts

Back