NCEES Education Standard and Engineering Technology

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMB

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’ve searched around for answers to this and have come up empty. I’m looking for information and opinions regarding my situation:

I have a B.S. in Civil Engineering Technology (ABET ETAC accredited) and a master of engineering degree from a school who’s undergraduate program is ABET EAC accredited.  I was able to obtain licensure in my home state and adjacent states where my employer does business. I am the only one in the office who has passed the 16-hour SE exam. As a result, my employer wants me to get licenses in Illinois - who requires an SE license for any structural work and in Florida (does not require SE exam). Both of these states seem to be pretty strict with not allowing engineering technology degrees to count as approved education.

A colleague of mine has the same exact education as I do and their education was evaluated by NCEES at the request of a state board (One that required ABET EAC degrees). The evaluation showed all Engineering courses taken during the undergraduate coursework were not counted because they were part of an “engineering technology” program. 

Im curious if anyone on here has encountered similar difficulties or has any insights as to why NCEES does not count this coursework. It’s really a shame that my undergraduate degree can potentially keep me from getting licensed in some states - especially after I’ve added a masters and shown my engineering capabilities by passing the SE exam. 

Some states have very prescriptive laws about what counts as an acceptable undergraduate engineering degree. The boards in those states simply don't have the authority to waive those requirements. Whereas the education requirements in most states are based on broad laws with prescriptive regulations. In those states, the boards would have the authority to grant exceptions to those requirements.

When NCEES conducts an evaluation, they are basing it on the rules (laws and regs) of the requesting state. If it doesn't line up, it doesn't line up, and it gets reported back that way.

Depending on the need, personal willpower, and school bylaws,  it may be possible go back to the same school, take the additional classes for a BSEngr, then trade in the BSEngrT for the BSEngr. This *might* be a working solution for those states requireing a BSEngr so long as those states don't require: a BSEngr degree prior to taking the PPE; or even worse getting a BSEngr, then four years of experience, then the PPE. I wouldn't recommend this option though.

FWIW, I've heard from many people that transferring licenses to Florida is a major pain regardless of qualifications. I've heard anecdotally that Illinois is pretty lenient though.

Thanks for the insight, RBHeadge.

I have been in touch with the school regarding ABET EAC accreditation. When I attended the college, a civil engineering degree was not yet offered. They achieved ABET-EAC accreditation two years after I graduated with an ABET ETAC accredited degree (bad timing!). Perhaps there's a pathway, as you alluded to, for EAC accreditation by completing additional courses. 

I understand that individual states have their own laws - and quite a few have adopted the educations requirements of the NCEES Standard. What I'm frustrated by is the fact that none of my engineering credits achieved during my undergraduate studies would count in an NCEES credentials evaluation. If they gave me partial credit, say 50% of those courses, I would have more than enough credits when coupled with my masters. 

They achieved ABET-EAC accreditation two years after I graduated with an ABET ETAC accredited degree (bad timing!). Perhaps there's a pathway, as you alluded to, for EAC accreditation by completing additional courses. 
Yeesh, no accreditation makes things worse. Some states are picky about if the degree was awarded when the program was accredited, others just care if the program was ever accredited. States with prescriptive requirements are very reluctant to waive that, if ever.

FWIW, I know some states (specifically PA) consider the education requirement satisfied if the applicant has a non-accredited STEM undergrad (i.e. physics, chemistry, or non-ABET engineering), but did have a engineering graduate degree from a school which had an accredited undergraduate degree program.

You may want to contact the state boards directly to see what is possible before taking new classes. The support staff usually know immediately if something is workable or not. With that sad,  doing the trade in for a EATC for a current day accredited EAC might still be a solution. Albeit an undesirable one.

Latest posts

Back