NCEES Credential evaluation: FE/PE from Japan Professional Engineering Council

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amit

Reaction score
I have Bachelor Of Engineering and Master of Technology from India. Working for an Engineering company in Japan have about 12 years of Exp. in Engineering. Passed FE and PE (Control System) in Japan through JPEC. Got NCEES credential evaluation done and report says 10 Hrs of deficiency in General studies. In India general studies are taught in class 10th and not in Engineering. I have no plans to move to the US in near future but would like to get License in any state of US as it is recognized in my current company for career progression. I have not yet sent my credential evaluation to any state.

I have following queries.

1. Will the deficiency in General study prohibit me o obtain Licence? If yes how to get over it from Japan or outside USA

2. Is there any benefit of M.Tech, as in , Is there any state which can ignore the deficiency

3. Anybody with similar experience please help. If I explain NCEES about not having General studies in Engineering but in 10th Std, will it help?

Suggestions are welcome and highly appreciated. 

I have Bachelor Of Engineering and Master of Technology from India. Working for an Engineering company in Japan have about 12 years of Exp. in Engineering. Passed FE and PE (Control System) in Japan through JPEC. Got NCEES credential evaluation done and report says 10 Hrs of deficiency in General studies. In India general studies are taught in class 10th and not in Engineering. I have no plans to move to the US in near future but would like to get License in any state of US as it is recognized in my current company for career progression. I have not yet sent my credential evaluation to any state.I have following queries.

1. Will the deficiency in General study prohibit me o obtain Licence? If yes how to get over it from Japan or outside USA

2. Is there any benefit of M.Tech, as in , Is there any state which can ignore the deficiency

3. Anybody with similar experience please help. If I explain NCEES about not having General studies in Engineering but in 10th Std, will it help?

Suggestions are welcome and highly appreciated. 
From what little I know about foreign degrees and state rules, you will need the credits. As for getting the credits outside of the states, that is a good question. It might be helpful to talk to someone at NCEES, they might know of how to proceed.

Good luck. I hope it is an easy fix for you.

1. If you did the NCEES credential evaluation and they said that you are deficient, you are ineligible to be licensed using the NCEES method. You should not, however, be discouraged by this! You can still apply to a state board to take the exam and have your university transcripts sent to the board for evaluation. India became a signatory to the Washington Accord in 2014 and if your school is a Tier 1 university then the degree should be accepted by the state board. I checked a couple states for you and Texas makes this explicit. Texas also does not care about general studies. You will not , however, be able to make a NCEES record since that requires using the NCEES credential evaluation service.

https://engineers.texas.gov/lic_basic.htm

http://www.nbaind.org/Files/wa_program_inst.aspx

2. An MTech would only help you with NCEES if you submitted the bachelor's and not the masters and the master's would somehow cover your deficiency which I don't think it would. It would only help at a state level with the time between graduation, experience, and license being shortened.

3. It would not hurt but they are likely to be inflexible unless you couple it with another argument. You could argue that your degree is recognized by the Washington accord which is what Texas uses to determine whether you meet the educational requirement to be licensed. Verify that your degree is indeed recognized under the Washington accord.

Easiest method is to verify the degree meets the Washington Accord Tier 1 standard through the website and then use this coupled with your 10th argument to have NCEES reconsider. If that doesn't work, apply directly to a state board for licensure. 

@NHPE Thanks for all the information. Like I mentioned earlier, I have already passed FE & PE in Japan. It is matter of Licence now. In japan prior to FE, they check the transcript and then give a go ahead to appear for FE and then prior to PE we have to provide our work experience. JPEC clearly stated that after passing PE, we have to approach individual states for obtaining Licence. As i have already passed PE, do you thing it will make things a bit easier? I am going to call Texas Board of PE to explain them my current situation and then lets see what they have to offer.

@NHPE Thanks for all the information. Like I mentioned earlier, I have already passed FE & PE in Japan. It is matter of Licence now. In japan prior to FE, they check the transcript and then give a go ahead to appear for FE and then prior to PE we have to provide our work experience. JPEC clearly stated that after passing PE, we have to approach individual states for obtaining Licence. As i have already passed PE, do you thing it will make things a bit easier? I am going to call Texas Board of PE to explain them my current situation and then lets see what they have to offer.
Yes, it will make it easier.

Back