Ncees 517

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ros

Reaction score
According to solution they have

SM s=8k<-45.6

& IM s=1.73*480*14.43<53.13

My question is, since syncronous motor has Leading PF, shoudn't SM angle be positive and induction motor angle negative? Thanks

SM s=8k<-45.6

My question is, since syncronous motor has Leading PF, shoudn't SM angle be positive and induction motor angle negative? Thanks
Which quantity are you asking about? Remember that S=VI*

For an inductive load, the angle for I with respect to V is negative and the angle applied to apparent power (S) will be positive.

For a capacitive load (such as an over-excited synchronous machine), the opposite is true (Positive current angle, negative power angle).

The NCEES solution is dealing with S so their sign convention is correct.

SM s=8k<-45.6

you may need to differenciate between current angle and aparent power angle. if Synch Motor is over-excited, then the current angle is possitive (leading PF) and since S=VxI* then the aparent power angle is negative.

could someone please confirm this topic to NCEES 523? if i wanted to find the combined PF of the two generator system, then what would I have?

CntrSnr2001, I get:

293<-34.9 + 1131<+25.8 kVA = 1300<+14.5 kVA

PF = 0.968

S has a positive angle, so I has a negative angle; current lags voltage, so PF is lagging.

Back