NCAA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
NCAA sure let OU off easy for paying players. The punishment was in the past, not the future. They should have made it no TV, no practices, ect.....

Instead their punishment would be like giving someone a suspended driving license for last year for wreckless driving done yesterday.

those players should have to start payig major fines themselves, punish the people not the entire school.

of course always remember ncaa football = joke anyways.

This does not suprise me one bit. College athletics has seriously lost it's way. When coaches are making more money that the univeristy presidents, I no longer care to watch.

In reality, only a hand full of univeristies make money through the athletice department. Most are money pits that drain the university. Just look at all the mid majors who are now dropping "minor" mens sports in the name of Title IX, but they turn around and pump tons of money into the football facilites and administrative positions... just to compete with the big boys.

By the way, I was fortunate to compete in one of those "minor" sports in college. I also had the please to tutor my fellow athletes through the study hall program. "Can you do my homework, please?"

This does not suprise me one bit. College athletics has seriously lost it's way. When coaches are making more money that the univeristy presidents, I no longer care to watch.

At USC, the players make more than the coaches. Ask Reggie Bush.

Instead their punishment would be like giving someone a suspended driving license for last year for wreckless driving done yesterday.
One of the major reasons I think big time college sports is a joke and don't follow it. Going to a game at the local school is great, but overall the system sucks.

I think OSU got off light, but I don't disagree with punishing the school and not simply punish the individuals. The threat of hurting the program is a much more effective deterrent to a booster then the threat of a fine.

In reality, only a hand full of univeristies make money through the athletice department. Most are money pits that drain the university. Just look at all the mid majors who are now dropping "minor" mens sports in the name of Title IX, but they turn around and pump tons of money into the football facilites and administrative positions... just to compete with the big boys.
For many schools football is one of the few athletic programs that can generate substantial revenue, which is why schools 'invest' in their programs (or as you put it "pump tons or money into..." those "...money pits")

Those "minor" mens sports weren't turning a profit either you know. ;)

I think OSU got off light, but I don't disagree with punishing the school and not simply punish the individuals. The threat of hurting the program is a much more effective deterrent to a booster then the threat of a fine.For many schools football is one of the few athletic programs that can generate substantial revenue, which is why schools 'invest' in their programs (or as you put it "pump tons or money into..." those "...money pits")

Don't confuse Oklahoma Sooners (cheaters) with Oklahoma State Cowboys.

I think OSU got off light, but I don't disagree with punishing the school and not simply punish the individuals. The threat of hurting the program is a much more effective deterrent to a booster then the threat of a fine.For many schools football is one of the few athletic programs that can generate substantial revenue, which is why schools 'invest' in their programs (or as you put it "pump tons or money into..." those "...money pits")

Yes, but look at the budget for the minor mens sports vs. the big three sports. In the mid majors the big three are sucking up all the money and depend on making cuts elsewhere to fund them. Where football programs do well and make a profit (or break even), the entire department is fully funded and there is never mention of Title IX and cutting mens minor sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but look at the budget for the minor mens sports vs. the big three sports. In the mid majors the big three are sucking up all the money and depend on making cuts elsewhere to fund them. Where football programs do well and make a profit (or break even), the entire department is fully funded and there is never mention of Title IX and cutting mens minor sports.
Uh, have you looked at the revenue for most minor sports at universities (men's and women's)? Most can not support themselves. Most football programs can not support themselves either, but at the schools that do generate money through their athletic departments it is the 'big three' that bring in the money (and generate positive cash flow). That is what the mid-majors are striving for. A program that generates money to support the other athletic endevours. The pursuit is probably in vain but that's what they are going for.

Uh, have you looked at the revenue for most minor sports at universities (men's and women's)? Most can not support themselves. Most football programs can not support themselves either, but at the schools that do generate money through their athletic departments it is the 'big three' that bring in the money (and generate positive cash flow). That is what the mid-majors are striving for. A program that generates money to support the other athletic endevours. The pursuit is probably in vain but that's what they are going for.

I think we a saying the same thing, but we just look at it differently. My point is the minor non-revenue generating sports require very little money to opperate compared to the big three (regardless how much or little they make).

Back