My Company's Unions in the NE Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
I feel like I am part of a special ops union busting survival team. Luckily, my team has been able to foil or go around most of the sabatage aimed at us people forced to come in from outside the New York area.

Slugger, are you a "scab"?
They called my 7 man team the A-Team. We made it through and identified booby traps such as sabotaged elevators, HVAC equipment, and fire escape doors attempting to trap us in a facility where the battery room had temperatures of 180 degrees, and the area where we worked was around 95 for the first three or four days.

We survived attempts of trying to run us off of the road on the interstate when being followed to our hotels after work. We also faced the drunk unions nose to nose at the door of facilities hoping (and taunting them to punch us for the $50K reward) while police told them to let us pass through. We worked 12 to 16 hour days from August 7th to the 26th straight without a day off in order to get circuits up for the US Tennis Open and 9-11. The union workers in the area where I worked only had to work two projects per day while, 2 of us guys did around 30 to 40 per day on average. They came back to work thinking they would get overtime to get caught up, while we kept up with all of the work in our area. 23 of us under a Sr. Manager replaced 200 union workers and kept up with sabotage, maintenance, trouble shooting, and new installs.

I have seen places in NYC that I would have never got to see before. There is nothing like sneaking past picket lines by going underground, or by looking like a normal person on the street. Sometimes we looked like police with a black crown victoria as a rental. Many times it seemed like the union workers were more intimidated by my size than I was of their numbers.

I just wish I had time to meet up with everyone that I was supposed to meet up with. I did meet up with three doctors and an attorney at My Uncle's Steakhouse in Queens. I also enjoyed some great food at various mom and pop restaurants around queens from Tito Rad's Filipino restaurant to a Cuban restaurant in Forrest Hills.

Slugger, are you a "scab"?
They called my 7 man team the A-Team. We made it through and identified booby traps such as sabotaged elevators, HVAC equipment, and fire escape doors attempting to trap us in a facility where the battery room had temperatures of 180 degrees, and the area where we worked was around 95 for the first three or four days.

We survived attempts of trying to run us off of the road on the interstate when being followed to our hotels after work. We also faced the drunk unions nose to nose at the door of facilities hoping (and taunting them to punch us for the $50K reward) while police told them to let us pass through.

All that stuff sounds like attempted murder to me...thats nuts!!!!

All that stuff sounds like attempted murder to me...thats nuts!!!!
That isn't as bad as the guy who got shot in the Bronx. There was also a Union guy that put his 9 year old daughter in front of a Verizon van while yelling f-bombs at the driver that went viral. The way the Unions work in this new world of Youtube and instant media backfired on them.

I am still wired a week later after returning. Things calmed down a lot in NY after the injunctions against some of the Union practices.

It is fascinating that a human being could do that to another human being over a job that they aren't doing well.

My dad is / was a "scab". The stories he tells me of the things the union did for the first few months were disturbing. I will repeat again, unions suck ass.

It is fascinating that a human being could do that to another human being over a job that they aren't doing well.
A beginning apprentice tech would make $1500 per week, with guaranteed raises after 6 months and then every year thereafter. These are people who might have a GED. Some make double or triple what I do, and may not even be qualified to flip burgers at McDonalds. That is why they fight so hard.

Amen Slugger...Sucks to push through a four year degree, PE license, and still watch union guys work with half the effort and make twice as much, with nothing more than a High School Diploma or 9-month certificate and will still when I'm considered a "Senior" engineer... yeah, awesome.

At one time I was supervising a bunch of guys that were paid more than I was. Made for a nice raise when the situation was corrected.

A beginning apprentice tech would make $1500 per week, with guaranteed raises after 6 months and then every year thereafter. These are people who might have a GED. Some make double or triple what I do, and may not even be qualified to flip burgers at McDonalds. That is why they fight so hard.

Amen Slugger...Sucks to push through a four year degree, PE license, and still watch union guys work with half the effort and make twice as much, with nothing more than a High School Diploma or 9-month certificate and will still when I'm considered a "Senior" engineer... yeah, awesome.
:plusone: :plusone:

Cripes. That's way more than I made when I began and just barely over what I make now with 9 years in and a PE. However, I never have to try to kill someone to keep my job, so it's all good.

Stay safe!

Cripes. That's way more than I made when I began and just barely over what I make now with 9 years in and a PE. However, I never have to try to kill someone to keep my job, so it's all good.
Shoot, that's way more than I make with over 20 years experience and a PE...

Back