MUTCD

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_NC

Reaction score
I have printed off Section 2 and 6 of the MUTCD (a few hundred pages). Has anyone tabbed more important sections or tables where questions are likely to be pulled from? I could 'eventually' find an answer, but there is no way I could work my way through that thing in less than say 8-10 min..

The glossery at the front is pretty good and can be used to get you within topic areas. Study signs and understand setting up detours using the diagrams provided. One good read through will give you a good feel for how it is organized and where to find answeres.

I have printed off Section 2 and 6 of the MUTCD (a few hundred pages). Has anyone tabbed more important sections or tables where questions are likely to be pulled from? I could 'eventually' find an answer, but there is no way I could work my way through that thing in less than say 8-10 min..
I would recommend getting and familiarizing yourself with the entire MUTCD. However, if you want to focus more on the "Construction" portion, I would work more specifically with sections 1, 5, & 6. The FHWA issues "Construction" editions of the MUTCD that contain only sections 1 (General), 5 (traffic control devices), & 6 (Temporary traffic control). Understanding sections like 2 (signs), 3 (markings), & 4 (highway traffic) can help reinforce the concepts contained in section 6. I would personally consider sections 7, 8, 9, & 10 as not really applicable for the construction depth (although I have had to personally have to create construction traffic control plans for each of the scenarios covered in those sections - bicycle paths, schools, light rail, & heavy rail).

Like the crane & rigging questions, you can expect to encounter a couple (up to maybe 4) questions that would be direct look-up questions and could be considered "gimme" points. The Index for the MUTCD is fairly straight forward, and like mentioned above, a quick read through would help with understanding the layout and general concepts within the manual.

Back