Moving to an "Office of the Future"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggercsc

I was once fast and scrappy, then lost my s's
EB Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with an "office of the future" concept?  We are moving into a new space in two weeks with no offices and no assigned spaces.  Each group will have its own “neighborhood", but there are no assigned desks, offices, cubes, spaces, etc.  Each employee will have a small locker the size of banker’s box for all of our "stuff".  The new space will have focus areas, team areas, collaboration areas, den (area with couches, but you cannot talk in this area), a social hub (i.e. fancy break room), training areas, conference rooms, a studio (area with bar type stools and samples, code books, references, etc.) and phone rooms (rooms to take private phone calls).  The actual office will be brand new, LEED silver, and a "well-being certified" establishment (I think that what is called).

Does anyone have any experience in these type of settings and how have they worked out? 

When%2Bsomeone%2Bsays%2BPok%25C3%25A9mon%2Bsucks%2Band%2Byou%2Band%2Byour%2Bfriends%2Bare%2Blooking%2Bfor%2Bwho%2Bsaid%2Bit.gif

We have everything listed except the "no assigned spaces"

It does suck and for once I'm glad to have some grey hair and be in a very small shower like office...

The social hub is annoying since it's in the middle and it's very disruptive if your trying to do actual work while some BS is going on...

We have everything listed except the "no assigned spaces"

It does suck and for once I'm glad to have some grey hair and be in a very small shower like office...

The social hub is annoying since it's in the middle and it's very disruptive if your trying to do actual work while some BS is going on...
that's those idiot millenials wear ear buds

^ the architects probably didn't factor in bathrooms. Too much wasted space...

Sounds like a silicon valley concept.

We have an "office planning division" that this is what they do (we are currently implementing this strategy for a large Pharma's HQ's).  We are now implementing this in our offices/divisions now.

We will see how it goes.   

The only issue I see with this idea is what you do with phone calls.  So many of our engineers and project managers spend hours on the phone each day talking with clients, contractors, etc.  We used to have the older style single room office building with cubicles and they cut down noise some, but we moved into a brand new office a few years ago and almost all of the engineers have their own office space.  So much quieter as people can close their doors when they are on the phone for hours on end.  It seems the open office would be a catastrophe when it comes to phone conversations.

We have an "office planning division" that this is what they do (we are currently implementing this strategy for a large Pharma's HQ's).  We are now implementing this in our offices/divisions now.

We will see how it goes.   
And what degree(s) do they hold??? :dunno:

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

I believe they are lead by degree'd architects.

Phone calls will be an issue.  We have all been issued headsets and everything is now VOIP through your computer/workstation.  If you have to move to "phone room", you will need to transfer the call to your cell phone first and then move to a phone room.  I am sure I will hang up on some people while I figure out the new system.  

I work with a few extremely loud people so phone calls will be an issue 

Do you mind if use your quote modified as "Daycare for Professionals".

Note:  "Professionals" is a stretch in my office.  IMHO, Professionals should be able to turn in timesheets and expense reports on time, but that is another story.  

Back